Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigredmachine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2013, 03:55 PM
    Sore throat at end of cold
    On Monday I came down with a cold I had a sore throat, runny nose, and was congested. After a day my sore throat went away but my cold symptoms remained. Today (Saturday) I woke up with a really sore throat. I have no fever or swollen lymph nodes. What could be the cause of this sore throat, could I have something else or is it just the same nagging virus? I have a big track meet on Monday and need to get better. Any suggestions?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 4, 2013, 04:27 PM
    For me (and probably most people), a sore throat along with a cold is either clogged up post nasal drip or less likely, a strep infection. You can see infection as a bright red patch way at the back of your tongue, with a flashlight and mirror or someone else looking. That needs antibiotics.
    If it's just that horrible glue-y mucous, drink tons of liquids to loosen it, suck on cough drops with menthol, and gargle every hour with warm salt water. Brush your teeth and tongue too. Don't use mouthwash.

I haven't tried the new saline (salt) nasal spray. Try whatever you can afford in the drugstore. But mostly drink water and weak broth and juices.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sore throat [ 1 Answers ]

Went to the hospital last night due to a sore throat on my left side they gave me a pain medication and antibiotics but now my right side hurts and my throat got worse what should I do

Sore throat [ 1 Answers ]

My throat has been hurting for almost 2 weeks and I'm not sick or feel sick. I'm not sure if I should be checked or not? I been eating ice cream and drinking water to smooth the pain. It goes away but after a few hrs it comes back again? What should I do?

Home remedies for sore throat during cold [ 6 Answers ]

I have a cold and my throat is sore. I have a spray like cloroseptic but was wondering what would be better Thanks

Tired, dizzy, headache, sore bones, sore throat [ 2 Answers ]

Tired, dizzy, headache, sore bones, sore throat what are this symptoms of ?

Sore throat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is katie. And I have had a sore throat that comes and goes all the time. I get white spots that come off and smell. But now it hurts in the middle of my throat and all the time, my ears hurt off and on. But then again ihave tmj so when my jaw hurts my ears hurt. Is my throat something to...

View more questions Search