Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeremy11 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2010, 06:00 PM
    How do I connect Linksys router to Internet Modem?
    I have a Dell studio laptop and it is connected to the internet through a Roadrunner internet modem. I was given a Linksys wireless router so I could carry my laptop with me throughout my house. Im having trouble hooking it up. Ive done some research and some say one of the ethernet cords is still supposed to be plugged in to the laptop. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? I wouldn't be able to carry my laptop where ever If I was still getting internet through a ethernet cord. I want it to conect to the internet wirelessly. Can anyone help?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2010, 07:50 PM

We can, but little info is given to be able to help.

You need to provide:

Links to both manuals.
    DSL or Cable?
    Does the Linksys have Access Point mode?
    Is PPPOE beig done in the modem or the computer?
    Are you using NAT and/or DHCP?

Physical cabling will be that the uplink port of the wireless router will connect to a port on the modem, but you may have to do a lot of configuring before you make that connection.

It can be a complex process. It can also be easy but it depends.

Keys are:
    1. Put modem in bridge mode
    2. wireless router gets fixed address and PPPOE/NAT/DHCP/Firewall gets moved to wireless router.
    3. You get it working via the ethernet ports first before moving to wireless.

DSL is usually easier - cloning usually not required
    Cable modems may require MAC address cloning

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My comp cannot connect to my linksys wireless router [ 6 Answers ]

I have just set up a home network using a linksys wireless router (model # wrt54g). I ran the setup software with no problem and connected 2 other computers, 1 laptop and 1 desktop w/wireless adapter both of which connect great. MY laptop, however, that was used to set the network up, would drop...

Connecting a linksys am300 modem to d-link dir 320 router [ 4 Answers ]

I have just purchased a new linksys am300 modem which I can't get to work with my d-link dir 320 router. I know the modem is installed correctly as when the modem is plugged directly into the dektop computer I get internect connection straight away. I also know the router works as it was working...

Networking with Westel modem and Linksys Router [ 7 Answers ]

I have my Verizon DSL through a Westell Model 6100F modem - Westell goes into Cisco Linksys Wireless router - ethernet cord from router straight into my desk top computer. I have a Dell laptop and a MacBook Pro connected wirelessly. Running Windows XP on desktop and Dell. Problem: I...

Linksys WRT54G Router to Westel 6100 Modem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Westel Model 6100 Modem Router with Verizon DSL. I want to connect a Linksys 54G wireless router so I can move about the house with my laptop. The laptop works well on other WI-FI setups but I can not get the above combonation to work so am looking for suggestions for settings. Hal

Trying to connect D-Link router through a Linksys. [ 7 Answers ]

I have a D-Link DI-604 that I want to hookup my TiVo and XBox up to, and that router is connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4. The D-Link doesn't seem to be able to connect through the Linksys to get onto the internet. What needs to be changed to get this working?

View more questions Search