Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaynedoe Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 03:11 AM
    Modem router
    Do I need 2 set up modem router on laptop as well as main computer to establish network connection? I want 2 use my laptop wireless connection but main computer is ethernet linked to router
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 13, 2008, 04:04 AM
    What type of connection are you on, DSL or Cable ?
    Basically sounds like you need to get an internet gateway router that deals with multiple connections and wireless.
    There are a number of these on the market.
    A couple of brands that come to mind are Netgear and Linksys.

Here's Netgear's products: 802.11g Wireless Routers & Gateways - NETGEAR.com

Feb 27, 2009, 04:14 AM

I've got netgear dsl can share network but not find printer
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 06:42 AM
    Make sure the printer is "shared". Also, make sure that the firewall (Windows Firewall or another personal firewall) is allowing other users to "see" and connect to the printer.

Mar 2, 2009, 10:48 AM

Printer is shared. How do I check firewall?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2009, 11:43 AM
    In Control Panel, locate Windows Firewall. Make sure file and printer sharing is checked in "Exceptions". If you have a third-party firewall (like Zone Alarm or some comprehensive Internet Security Suite), then you have to check inside those programs and make sure that printer sharing is enabled and that this particular printer is shared. To test the system, you can temporarily shut down Windows Firewall and all Internet Security software. If it works when those programs are enabled, you then will know what is causing the inability to communicate.

On the remote computer, connect to the computer to which the printer is attached. You can connect to it by clicking "Start | Run" and entering "\\[computername]" where "computername refers to either the name of the computer or its IP address. If you're in doubt, click "Start | Run" and enter "CMD" to get "command window". In the command window, type "IPconfig"<enter> Your IP address should appear under something like "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection".

Once you've connected to the other computer, you should see a window with a list of shared resources. If the printer is shared properly and if it's not being blocked by something else, it will show up. You can right-click on it and select "Connect". That will initiate a dialog that will install the printer on the target computer. If you don't see the printer, then something else is wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless router-ADSL MODEM [ 2 Answers ]

I have a HUAWEI Smart AX MT882 ADSL Modem and I am trying to connect through a D-LINK WBR 1310 WIRELESS router unsuccessfully even after following the instructions given in the disk carefully. Tell me how I can connect to the net using these two.

Continually rebooting router/Modem [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I do not have any experience in networking, and as I have a desk PC , my family also 2 laptops, I wanted to connect them thro a network, and as I have heard doing it wirelessly has so many advantages, I bought Netgear DG834N. I looked at the CD installation, bought a couple of networking books...

CABLE and Modem Router [ 11 Answers ]

Hi my buddys has a cable modem which she connects to the internet with, its got one USB and one ethernet port on the modem. Ive only seen t he modem through webcam so I couldn't play around, we were NOT able to connect 2 machines one through usb and the other through ethernet. The cable...

Cannot send email using modem/router [ 5 Answers ]

Just set up D-Link modem/wireless router to desktop, Running XP. Can access internet OK. Use outlook express and ISP is tiscali. Can receive email OK. When trying to send I get the old dial up box asking me to connect, used to have tiscali modem. (which it can't as the settings are now set to...

View more questions Search