Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Feb 10, 2008, 05:16 PM
    What gland or lymph node could be behind my ear?
    Hi all,

I recently came down with a fever (the theory is glandular fever, but no blood test results yet), and as a result the "glands" (lymph nodes) in my neck have become slightly swollen. But I have also noticed a similar raised and tender area just behind my right ear. My mother suggested that it was another inflamed gland, but as far as I can tell, there aren't any glands, nodes or anything similar located behind the ear.
    Any ideas?

Kal
    drhani Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Hi friend,there are many lymph nodes in our body,when we have some infection they become swollen Any swollen lymph nodes that don't go away or return to normal size over about a month should be checked by your health professional.
    Those u noticed were auricular lymph nodes,so u just don worry,, :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Sorry it took me so long to respond to your post.

Hun, you have hundreds of lymph nodes in your body. Most times you don't feel them unless they become inflamed with some sort of infection, whether it be bacterial or viral.

Would you believe you even have lymph nodes in the anterior aspect of your elbow? True story. I even debated that with a doctor prior to my entering nursing school. He stated "well, ya learn something new every day." You can believe I never went back to that doctor.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 09:18 PM
    It may not be a lymph node, but a salivary gland:

Parotid gland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Feb 23, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Thanks guys. I'm used to some glands doing weird things, but one behind my ear... it just seemed weird.

Turns out I have glandular fever... so I now have to debate whether to defer uni. My degree involves a lot of physical activity - working with big machines and the like. I keep hearing horror stories about people getting chronic fatigue after glandular fever, and being constantly weak and exhausted for months (or even longer)... and I'm hoping I'll only stay like that for a couple of weeks.
    Would I be better to just put off uni for a semester? Am I likely to seriously damage my health if I try to keep going?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swollen Gland, Lump behind ear [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My right gland in my throat is very swollen and tender. It hurts when I yawn. I now have a lump behind my ear which is painful to touch. What could it be? Is it mumps? Thanks

Swollen lymph nodes by the ear [ 4 Answers ]

The Lymph nodes that are located slightly below the ear are swollen most of the time. Doctors don't seem to be concerned. Any ideas? I have allergies to ragweed and tree pollen and am on ongoing immunotherapy. I also have Asthma.

Bump on lymph node behind ear [ 9 Answers ]

My lymph node behind my left ear is swollen and I have a bump on it. It feels like I have a headache around the area of my ear. Any ideas what it could be from?:confused:

What's a Lymph Gland [ 1 Answers ]

What's a Lymph Gland I think I might have one behind my ear?

Swollen lymph node [ 8 Answers ]

How do I know I have a swollen lymph node? I have a couple lymph nodes that slightly (very slightly, probably 0.2cm) protrude from my neck, each being no more than 1cm in diameter (1 might 1.5 cm, but no more)? I saw my GP and she said those WERE the lymph nodes and they're supposed to protrude...

View more questions Search