Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CNJNLUV Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Subnetting and Subnet Ranges
    I would like someone to explain to me in simplest terms how to subnet and find subnet ranges. Thanks.:)
    EOS Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Unfortunately, there is nothing simple about subnetting. In my opinion

Cisco IP subnetting 101: Five things you should know
    That link should get you started on the basics though.
    Zayne S Halsall Posts: 71, Reputation: 5

Dec 4, 2007, 09:03 PM
    As EOS said, subnetting is not simple. And the link he provided was a very good one - introductory and basic, with good links to get more information.

However, in my many years in networking, I have found the easiest way to always be able to quickly manage subnetting (aside from learning a few maths tricks - and with me that's generally not that quick ;) ) is to use a subnet calculator of some sort.

While there are applications available, since I never know where I am going to be and what OS I'm going to be using, I use the following website (I am in no way affiliated with this site, FYI):

Online IP Subnet Calculator

And for CIDR subnetting (more usual, nowadays)

Online IP CIDR / VLSM Supernet Calculator

I have yet to find a subnetting need that this web app hasn't solved. Hope this helps you too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Classless Subnetting [ 4 Answers ]

How do I determine the maximum number of subnets of a classless address with the prefix /x? Example: Given the prefix /10, What is the maximum number of subnets? How do I determine this?

Mountain Ranges [ 1 Answers ]

Which mountain range, above or below sea level, is the longest in the world-the Andes, the Rocky Mountains, or the Mid-Atlantic Ridge?

Classless subnetting [ 4 Answers ]

what is classless subnetting? is it similar to CIDR? can anyone help me? thanx!

Subnetting help needed [ 2 Answers ]

Please don't ask or expect us to do your homework assignments for you. Your instructor gave the assignment for YOU to do so you can learn from them. The answers to these questions should be in your texts or class notes. Or you could use the vast resources of the WEB to do your research. I suggest...

Subnetting for WAN [ 1 Answers ]

In a WAN situation can I have all routers (3 different cities) using Class B IP adds 10.x.x.x all servers at the 3 locations using Class B 10.x.xx.xx and work stations using class B 172.31.x.x but putting everything under the same subnet mask

View more questions Search