Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jul 23, 2005, 07:38 AM
    Home Wireless network + Cable Internet
    So cable internet finally got cheap enough here in Croatia, and I consider switching to it. I'm currently using a LAN of 3 computers, connected through a switch. I'm also considering switching to wireless network because I'll have to move the main computer to another room, which would cause me to move a lot of wires, which is a pain in the to do.

So, if I get a wireless access point with integrated router (4 10/100 ethernet ports) and a cable internet modem, can I just connect the modem (which has an ethernet port too) to the access point, and use wireless cards to connect computers to the access point, or do I have to keep one ethernet card and connect the modem directly to the computer? If I can connect the modem directly to the access point, it would make it much easier on me, because I could put both the modem and access point and connect them together near the entry door, and would save me a lot of wiring throughout the house.

So the basic question is - do I have to connect the modem directly to the computer, or can I just connect it to the access point?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2005, 10:29 AM
    I have my cable modem connected to a 4 port router. I use one for each computer. I ran an ether net cable to the far end of the house for the second computer.

I also use one port for my phone service. I don't know if internet phone service is available in Croatia or not. In the past, nobody in America thought to write a law banning it. The conventional phone companies hate it. For more explanation, see www.vonage.com

That leaves one port for my son in law to plug in his wireless router for their laptops when they visit.

Hey, you are doing a great job in automotive.

Jul 24, 2005, 04:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I have my cable modem connected to a 4 port router. I use one for each computer. I went ahead and ran an ether net cable to the far end of the house for the second computer.

I also use one port for my phone service. I don't know if internet phone service is available in Croatia or not. In the past, nobody in America thought to write a law banning it. The conventional phone companies hate it. For more explanation, see www.vonage.com

That leaves one port for my son in law to plug in his wireless router for their laptops when they visit.

Hey, you are doing a great job in automotive.
    Excellent! This is exactly what I needed.

If your son in law can plug in his wireless router and use his laptop with a wireless card connected to it, it means that I can do it too :) So basically, I will be exchanging your wired router with a wireless router connected to it, with only a wireless router, and everything should work fine! I'd like to avoid taking more wires around the house now, so I'll just stick to everything wireless. Thanks a lot!

BTW, internet phone service is still not available in Croatia.

And thanks for the props! ;) I appreciate it :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2005, 05:49 AM
    As Labman said, all you need is a wireless broradband router and then wireless cards for the devices you want to connect.

A couple of cautions though. First, you should use wired connections wherever practical. While wireless works well its still slower and less stable then a wired connection. Also the whole wirelss LAN is slowed down to the lowest component. So if any of your devices use 802.11b then the whole LAN will operate at 802.11b speeds.

Finally, read up on 802.11 security. You want to make sure your LAN is safe from prying eyes and especially people trying to piggyback on your connection.

Jul 28, 2005, 08:32 AM
    Thank you very much for your replies.

I bought a 802.11g Wireless Router and 3 802.11g wireless cards for computers. I'm using MAC Filtering on the router. It seems like a pretty good security idea to me. If anyone has any more ideas what I should look after, I'd be glad to hear them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet sharing on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

Sharing internet connection on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

Wireless/cable internet connection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have 2 issues. Now I am new to this, so please don't judge me. 1) I was recently by my friend with my laptop (has wireless connectivity). I was able to connect to the wireless modem - got an ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway - but, still couldn't connect to the internet. I...

Wireless network security [ 4 Answers ]

I have just gotten a router and set up a wireless net environment in my home. As I live in an apartment, I think it can be easily picked up by anyone. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any way or program I could use to make it secure. Also, I rather not use the WEP provided because it...

Setting up an Internet Lan wireless Network [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to get wireless internet for my house and I am totally clueless so I hope you guys could help me out here. Firstly I want to share my internet between like 3-4 computers (2 desktop, 2 laptop) through a wireless router. I also hope able to connect all of them through a lan network...

View more questions Search