Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brijmohan123456 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 10:55 AM
    why linear momentum should be equal?
    see the following case;
    A hunter has a machine gun that can fire 50 gram bullets with a velocity of 150m/s.A 60 kg tiger pounces at him with a velocity of 10m/s.how many bullets should the hunter fire per second into he tiger to stop him in his track.
    Here in the hint of question it is given that to stop the tiger ,rate of change of linear momentum of tiger =rate of change of linear momentum of bullet.But I want to ask that why it is necessary to be the linear momentum of both to be same.Please explain me clearly
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
    There's a fundamental concept in physics that says the momentum of a system is constant. Hence any momentum gained by one part of a system (the tiger) must be offset by losses in the momentum of another part of the system (the bullets). Stated another way: the magnituide of change of momentum of both parts is the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Momentum [ 2 Answers ]

An average net force of 25.0 N acts right on an object for 7.20 x 10^-1s. What is the change in momentum of the object?

Momentum [ 1 Answers ]

I know how to do this question but just I cannot understand about the question asking 4kg ball. The question is " A 2 kg ball moving at 7m/s strikes a 1 kg ball at rest.The 2kg ball continues to move in the same direction at 3m/s. a) Find the velocity of the 4kg ball. b) How much the kinetic...

Momentum [ 1 Answers ]

http://www.smartphysics.com/images/content/mechanics/ch11/cartruckcollisionnew.png A blue car with mass m@car = 444 kg is moving east with a speed of vc = 23 m/s and collides with a purple truck with mass m@truck = 1273 kg that is moving south with a speed of vt = 12 m/s . The two collide and...

Relation between linear momentum and kinetic energy [ 3 Answers ]

Could someone tell me whether this statement is true or false. This question appeared in a practise test and I think that the answer to it is incorrect. Statement 1: If linear momentum of a system of particles is zero, then the kinetic energy of the system will also be zero. Statement 2: Linear...

Momentum [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with the following questions: A 3kg ball is at rest. A 2kg ball, moving at 3 m/s, collides with it. The balls do not stick together, they move off separately. There is no friction or rolling. 1. a. What is the initial momentum of the 2kg ball? b. If the 3kg ball moves off...

View more questions Search