Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JordanD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 05:09 AM
    Viewing deleted movie from digital camera
    This may be a tricky question but I'm hoping someone can help...

I deleted a movie from my Canon digital camera, however have since recovered the deleted file using a 'recovery program' - I have tried several different 'recovery programs' but they all recover the movie as a .jpg file rather than a movie file.

As such I have a 15Mb .jpg file which I cannot view as a movie only an image (being the initial frame). I have tried simply adding .mpg to the end of the file name, and also opening the file using Quicktime, WMP, DivX etc but in all situations the file remains as a .jpg and won't convert to a movie.

Does anyone know how I can view this video? I seem to have recovered it from my digital camera OK - but can't seem to figure out how to view it as a video and not an image!

Thanks!
    Blogg Posts: 61, Reputation: 4

Nov 17, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Sorry to say this, but have you read this program's manual. Maybe you can find something there or search Google with a keyword "(the programs name) problem"..
    I hope this can help you.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Nov 17, 2008, 08:41 AM

The image you see is the embedded jpeg used to show the movie in your camera's "browser" as you move from clip to clip. The actual movie is apparently corrupted. You need to take the file to someone who can repair the corrupted file - someone who knows how to edit video files at the file structure level. This won't be cheap. What is your budget for recovering this movie? What is the model of your canon camera?
    JordanD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Thanks for the response. I didn't think there would be an easy solution. I'll look further into the program instructions but it seems, that as I have tried different programs, and none have worked, the video files may all be corrupted, as you suggested.

Word of advice, if you have a Canon digital camera, make sure you don't delete videos you wish to keep by accident.

Cheers.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanD View Post
    Word of advice, if you have a Canon digital camera, make sure you don't delete videos you wish to keep by accident.
    Jordan, word of advice - if you have ANY kind of camera - make sure you don't delete files you wish to keep.

I'm just saying...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Viewing deleted internet history [ 1 Answers ]

How can I view web sites visited and temp internet files when the history and th files have been deleted?

Digital Camera Not Seen [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me why one computer has no problems downloading pics from a Kodak Digital EasyShare CX6330 camera, but another one will not see the camera. Adobe PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.0, and Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard, they both tell me that there is no camera, Roxio Capture...

Best Digital Camera for less than $500 [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking to purchase the best digital camera I can for less than $500. While I am especially taken by the features offered by the SONY MVC CD-350 (disc type) the sales people I have talked to seem to prefer the Fuji FinePix 55000 or the FinePix A310 which are both "stick type"?? Thanks. Ponton

Digital camera [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a goodmans g-shot 3003cc for xmas Have installed the drivers cd, there's a bit on iy which I ticked says "decode all supported fourccs(divx,dx50,mp4v) Have ticked this, when I plug the camera in , instructions say to open folder to veiw files using windows explorer , but this cannot...

Viewing digital photos on TV [ 2 Answers ]

I want to show my digital photos on TV. Should I get the Microsoft floppy disc viewer or run the TV direct from the computer. I gather the socket is next to that of the monitor / I have two a phono and a multipin job. How would I configure it_ I don-t want to get a CD burner right now ...

View more questions Search