Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    porky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Second mortgages
    My daughter and son-in-law owe us money (about 8 grand in all) and are not good at paying it back. I do not want to do a lien on their house, I would like to keep the courts out of this. Can I do a second mortgage with me holding it, that way we will get our money someday and I don't have to keep hounding them? And if I can, how do I get that done?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 07:35 AM
    A second mortgage is a lien on the property. It is second in priority to whatever mortgage currently exists. Your daughter would not be able to sell or refinance the property without paying you the full amount she owes you.

If you want to go ahead with this you would have to prepare a mortgage and have it signed by your daughter and son-in-law and then have it recorded in the county clerk's office. If your daughter is willing to do it then I suggest that you have the documents prepared by a real estate attorney in your area to make sure that the paperwork is done right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgages for mobile homes? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: Can anyone tell me if they now of any company that will give mortgage for a mobile home with back credit? Please help

About bi weekly mortgages [ 12 Answers ]

Just wondering if any one has had any experince with a biweekly type mortgage. We are getting ready to fill out some papers to start up that type of Mortgage. I know it would be cheaper to just pay the extra payment myself. That is what it works out to is paying an extra payment a year. But...

Mortgages [ 3 Answers ]

Just bought a home in June and since moving I have lost my job, is there any help out there to help me with my mortgage payments?

Reverse Mortgages [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking into reverse mortgages and think I understand it very well, but I would like to hear from anyone who has had an experience with them either good or bad. Thank you.

Pay-right mortgages? [ 3 Answers ]

HSBC and now another mtg lender have excitingly described this type of loan which allows a person to get deducted interest rates over periods during which the mtg loan is paid as promised. Is this a bait and switch tactic? I have a 720 FICO but am two years out of CH13 (discharged 2004,...

View more questions Search