Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crispyd85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 07:35 AM
    My dog will not eat after major surgery
    Hi

My dog had major surgery 5 days ago for an intestinal blockage. His last meal was 7 days ago and he hasn't eaten since. He has been back to the vet everyday and has been given painkillers, anti biotics, appetite stimulants and muscle relaxants but still there is no interest in food. He is drinking water although for some strange reason he likes to do that alone. I rescued him about 1 year ago from an animal sanctuary where he had similar eating problems there for no apparent reason other than possible depression. I spoke to them today and they checked his records and at that time he did not eat a meal for over 2 weeks but would occasionally take some titbits which he hasn't done this time. They had a vet check him out at the time and he could not find anything physically wrong with him. How long can he go without food and how much danger is he in by not eating ?
    I would be grateful for any advice you can offer. I love him to bits and I do not want to lose him. Many thanks
    Chris
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 20, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Your vet is a much better resource for this than I am or anybody else on the net. Much of how long a dog can go without eating depends on the condition it was in to start with. Your vet should be aware of its condition and decide when it reaches the point you need to resort to tempting it with rich food. Check the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 Follow the link on evaluating your dog. Once the crisis is over, keeping the dog lean should improve its eating habits. There are some dogs it is best to give up and let their ribs show a little.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Jaw surgery now recovery what to eat? [ 2 Answers ]

What foods can I eat? I'm past the liquids I can now I have very soft foods I can't chew but I can smash things with my tongue against my mouth and teeth, but as I said before no aggressive chewing

Dog refusing to eat dog food [ 3 Answers ]

My 8 year old German Shepard recently started refusing to eat her normal dry dog food. I'm nervous in the wake of all the pet food recalls. Her dog food is not listed on the recall list and does not contain wheat gluten. I have always let her self feed as she has always been good with how much she...

Dog don't Eat After Surgery [ 2 Answers ]

The dog of my girlfriend has not eat nothing in 2 days after having a surgery in the belly because she was pregnant and could not have more sons cause she colud die, now she had been castrated and she won't eat nothing and my girl is crying cause she don't know what to do and there are no vets...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Dog having problems after surgery [ 5 Answers ]

Our akita had surgery on her cruciate ligaments (both legs) last week. There were some complications (she has some kind of immune disorder so the damage to her joints was more extensive than originally thought) and now she appears to be in a lot of pain and is not eating and no bowel movement for a...

View more questions Search