Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IntroducingEmy Posts: 87, Reputation: 12

Aug 29, 2007, 12:12 AM
    Appropriate necklace?
    I have a good friend who passed away recently who lived through the Holocaust and I was wondering if it would be appropriate for me to wear a Star of David necklace to remember her? She was very dear to me and has gotten me very interested in converting to Judaism though I think by most standards I would not be considered, even though I go to temple regularly.

In a way, this is a compound question since I would also like to know, should I convert? It feels appropriate and I share the beliefs but would I not be able to because I wasn't born into a Jewish family? Thanks again for your time.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 29, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Hi Emy-

Quote Originally Posted by IntroducingEmy
    I have a good friend who passed away recently who lived through the Holocaust and I was wondering if it would be appropriate for me to wear a Star of David necklace to remember her? She was very dear to me and has gotten me very interested in converting to Judaism though I think by most standards I would not be considered, even though I go to temple regularly.
    Wearing the necklace is perfectly acceptable. In fact I commend you for doing so in remembrance of your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by IntroducingEmy
    In a way, this is a compound question since I would also like to know, should I convert? It feels appropriate and I share the beliefs but would I not be able to because I wasn't born into a Jewish family? Thanks again for your time.

You can convert if you're willing. One thing that separates Judaism from other Faiths is that Judaism does not teach the necessity to convert since we are all children of G-d. If you feel compelled to convert please speak with the rabbi for counseling. After counseling if you should choose to remain a non-Jew that's all right and acceptable as well. You are always welcome to attend shul (synagogue) no matter your decision. You would be one of many righteous Gentiles and the guidelines are easy to follow.

Righteous Among the Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bobby
    IntroducingEmy Posts: 87, Reputation: 12

Aug 29, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Thanks for the speedy reply. It's made me feel more comfortable and confident in my beliefs. I'll definitely be wearing my necklace from now on. ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 29, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Only convert if you fully accept their faith.

As for as wearing the star of david, I have been known to wear one myself at time, there is nothing wrong with it. I have a lot of great Jewish friends, and a couple of the priests in our order do all of the main jewish customes in their personal practice. Christians were all originally jewish remember that.

Some of the best words of wisdom to live by were told to me by a rabi.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vintage cadoro necklace that attached with 2 j hooks [ 3 Answers ]

I have a vintage cadoro necklace that attaches with a j hook on each end. I've never seen a necklace like this. When you hook them together it does not lay flat. Does anyone know about this type of closure. Thank you

Vintage Rare Fetish Necklace [ 1 Answers ]

I obtained a vintage fetish necklace. I need to find an expert who can help me place an appropriate value on the piece. It seems to be raw carved turquise in the shape of feet and hands with an eagle or winged form about 2-3" long and 1" high with a woman with outstretched arms on the main piece...

Perl necklace [ 3 Answers ]

I was given a perl necklace but it is broken And I want to fix it but I can't get the thread out it looks like that there is a knot or something on the thread in the perl How do I get the perls off thr thread? Please help

Yazzie Necklace [ 1 Answers ]

I would like some information on a necklace, it has "YAZZIE" stamped on the back on the pendant. It looks to be sterling and coral chocker with a coral stone of an odd shape set in sterling.

View more questions Search