Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Janine Pinosky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Divorce and My Name Not On Deed/Mortgage
    When my husband purchased our condo I assumed that my name was on the deed/mortgage. Upon looking through the paper work I found that it was not, and that it also stated that my husband was an unmarried man. He keeps telling me that it doesn't matter and should he pass it will automatically go to me. I am planning to get a divorce the end of this year and want to know it I have any legal rights to the property? It is the only thing that will be an issue in the divorce since we have no children. It will be ten years in October that we have been married, we live in Arizona but were married in California. Do I need to get my name put on the deed/mortgage before I begin the divorce proceedings?

Thank You,
    Janine
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 02:46 PM

In the divorce they should do a division of property. Prove that the house was a marital house, date he bought it and date you were married.
    You shouldn't need to get your name added it is marital asset.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 04:56 PM

It will make it a harder fight in court, but obviously he had this planned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce: Name on deed not on mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

My name is not on the mortgage but its on the deed. My husband and I are getting a divorce and told me I have no right and I will have to move out.

Warranty deed versus mortgage deed [ 1 Answers ]

What deed is given when there is a mortgage on the property

Divorce - wife not on mortgage or deed [ 6 Answers ]

I've been married 4 years. I purchased a home 2 months ago (while still married). My wife is not on the mortgage loan or deed. We are now in the process of a divorce. She does not work. Does she have any rights to the home and can she actually end up with it even though she is not on the loan...

Name on deed, but not on mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

I hope I have the right area for questions. My man and I bought a house together. His name is on the mortgage, but both names are on the deed. We have been together for 11 yrs. We are not married and live in Florida. I know common law isn't recognized here. What do I need to do to get my 11...

View more questions Search