Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ulric Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Debt Collection-payment
    I have a debt collection agency that has contacted me by phone.

To date they have NOT mailed anything to me in regards to this debt.
    I'm willing to pay the debt. However I have a problem with paying
    This debt by Western Union or via an 'E-check', when I explained this
    They stated they could 'print out' a check and mail it to my bank.
    I informed them I have a problem with that also. I asked what their address
    Was, to which they first asked me 'why?' claiming security reasons.
    I explained that I was by no means comfortable considering paying someone
    Money and having no manner of getting in touch with the should problem arise
    Afterwords, beyond a telephone number. After being on hold for several seconds
    They did finally give me an address, I queried if a payment could be sent directly
    To that address at which point 'G' started to become Irate and informed me that the
    ONLY manner in which they accept payment is via Western Union & the 'E-check'.
    I told 'G' that I find this hard to believe, and could not see where in the case of a lawsuit
    A judge would order/insist the debtor would be required to pay the debt only by one of these two ways.
    They put me on hold again, came back and told me that I could overnight a payment to the original address
    They had given me over the phone.. but it had to be received by the 13th or they would
    Begin 'Collection Process' against me.
    I stated that if she was with a collection agency, calling about a debt.. then they had obviously already started
    Collection process and asked what was meant by beginning or 'further process collection'. I explained I had issue
    With sending money to someone who claimed to be calling in regards to a debt when I have received no documentation in regards to the debt and have no current manner of confirming who they were. 'G' informed me that if I could not/would not pay in the manner they demanded they would inform the creditor that I refused to make payment . I informed 'G' that I wwould not pay them in the manner they wished w/o documentation or a more acceptable manner in which to pay them.

I presume, I would be best served at this point... by waiting to see if they do send a letter and attempt to handle things from there (be it negotiation etc)?
    Are they allowed to 'limit' the manner in which they accept payment or are they required to accept other forms of payment? I would guess, that worst case it could go to small claims court in which I could explain my situation/concerns and make direct payment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Collectoin phone calls, refuse them, inform them not to contact you by phone any longer, but to make all requests in writing.

Contact the orgianl company the debt is with and try and settle with them, if they have not sold the debt, they can still settle with you.

NEVER and I mean never give them any of you bank info over the phone,

Next don't pay with a personal check ( it also gives them your bank info) pay with a money order or other non identifing method.

Next never agree you owe the debt, always dispute it, make them send you in writing proof you owe the debt, you are legally intitled to that info.

They sound like crooks to me.
    Ulric Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 10:41 AM
    Already tried original creditor and their 'finance company' who's about as friendly and communicative as these people are.
    I noticed them on the... watched user lists on the Budhibbs site and am currently typing up a summary to provide to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt collection [ 4 Answers ]

Howdy, 4 years ago I let a credit card charge off for $11,700. A law firm bought the debt and until last year I had paid it down to $6700. I just haven't had the money to pay them. I earned 28k last year and my YTD is 7k for this year. I just got a court summons. I assume my wages will be...

Debt collection [ 7 Answers ]

Does any one know if I'm responsible for my 20 year old sons dentist bill if he no longer lives with me but I had insurance on him till he quit school?Can a debt collector go after me? Because that what's happening but I don't think I should be responsible for my dead beat son any help? Thanks!

Collection agency refuses payment/papers filed [ 1 Answers ]

For the past six months I have been making monthly payments to a collection agency. Was told if I don't triple the amount I was sending, the agency was going to sue me. For four months the agency would call me at work and ask if I was going to triple the payment, if not they were going to sue....

Collection refuse payment [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Nebraska and was wondering what is the law when a collection agency refuses payments. I only received a few notices on this 1 account which was $315.00. I was going to college and just took some time off to work to get catch up. I just received my first check and sent them a $50.00 money...

Collection agency refuses payment [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to clear up 3 charges on my credit report. Had a very difficult year. Moved three times did not keep up with existing bills. I pulled credit report. Contacted 2 creditors, both in collections, both sending info and were more than happy that I wanted to make arrangements. Third one,...

View more questions Search