Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamesearl Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Electric outlet will only work with lights on
    I have two electric outlets in bathrooms that only work when the light switch is on. The master bedroom bath electric outlets work when the light switch is off. What can I do to get the electric outlets to work when the light switch is off? I have a little knowledge in dealing with electricity.
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 23, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Most bathroom outlets are intended to be controlled by a switch and they usually have ground-fault interruption protection to prevent accidental electrocution when near a water source. If I were you, I would have a licensed electrician do this work for you.
    jamesearl Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xphelper
    Most bathroom outlets are intended to be controlled by a switch and they usually have ground-fault interruption protection to prevent accidental electrocution when near a water source. If I were you, I would have a licensed electrician do this work for you.

What work is required? I can not make a decision until I know what it in tells. The outlet in the two bathrooms are not close to the sink where something could fall into water. The outlet in the master bathroom is right over the sink.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 11:11 AM
    What the electrician would do is: Remove switchs and GFI's, then with tester, see where power is, and connect correctly, or pull an additional wire if needed. A simple voltage tester will show the constant hot. Good Luck
    Duecey93 Posts: 207, Reputation: 3

Mar 1, 2008, 08:43 AM
    In my house there are switches that turn on or off the power in my electric outlets in that room. If this is not your case and it is a big inconvience then I would recommend calling an electrician.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xphelper
    Most bathroom outlets are intended to be controlled by a switch......
    I have NEVER heard this, at least not for bathrooms.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 08:56 AM
    James, with the little information give it is impossible for us to tell you what the electrician will do or will need.

Strat's post is a good general description. I'm not sure how this helps you though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Outlet just stopped working [ 5 Answers ]

Any idea why my outside electric outlet would just stop working? It worked just fine the other day. Nothing unusual happened but today it doesn't work. Thanks

Replacing bathroom outlet for fan and lights [ 3 Answers ]

The double switch outlet in my bathroom went out. One switch controlled the fan and the other the lights (one on the ceiling and three on the wall). I went to Menards and bought a new double switch outlet for the wall. I thought it was going to be EASY - take the old one out and hook the new one...

Lights not working after moving electrical outlet [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I got a wall mount TV for which I wanted to create an electrical outlet and a cable outlet behind the TV so the wires are concealed. The OLD outlets are about 4 feet below the TV. I took out the existing electrical outlet box and undid the wires coming into it (2 BLK, 2 WHT, 1 ground)...

Electric outlet [ 1 Answers ]

How to cnnetct wires and instal electric outlet

How to replace a switched outlet with recessed lights [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my basement. When I pulled out my drop ceiling I found that my overhead fluorescent lights were plugged into an outlet controlled by a light switch. I want to replace the fluorescent lights with 4 recessed lights. What is the proper way to wire this setup? Thanks for the help!...

View more questions Search