Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lanie4322 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Reversing life estate deed in NC
    When my husband I were married recently, he had the deed to his house changed. I now have a life estate to the property at his death with his 2 daughters and 2 stepdaughters as the remainders. After realizing that this was not exactly what he wanted he would like to do away with the lifes estate and the remainders and just add myself and the 2 daughters names to the deed. Is this reversible and how does he go about it? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Lanie:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 12:53 PM
    He can change it, but would need all parties on the current deed to sign off. So his two daughters and stepdaughters will need to sign off for the new deed ( *** depends on the exact way it was written)

You will need to take this to the real estate attorney who drew this up and let him walk you though changing it.

Remember when he dies, the two daughters can try and force you to either buy out thiere 1/2 or force you to sell the house.
    I really don't think this is the best way to do it.
    Also what about the two step daughters??

Often he could consider setting up some life insurance for a value to equpal the value of the home, in the daughters name, and allow you to have the house, thus everyone wins.

A good estate planning would help you all.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lanie4322
    When my husband I were married recently, he had the deed to his house changed. I now have a life estate to the property at his death with his 2 daughters and 2 stepdaughters as the remainders. After realizing that this was not exactly what he wanted he would like to do away with the lifes estate and the remainders and just add myself and the 2 daughters names to the deed. Is this reversable and how does he go about it? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Lanie:)

Right now everyone on the Deed would have to sign off and then a new Deed filed - it might give you a taste of what you're in for if/when he passes, whether the daughters and stepdaughters will sign off now. You certainly should consult an Attorney.

I don't like the "yourself and his 2 daughters" on the Deed because estates do strange things to people and you could find yourself living in your car.

Why doesn't he just Deed the house in your joint names and "give" them something else?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real Estate Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a home a few months prior to my husband and I getting married. It is in my previous name plus he is not on the mortgage; it's been this way for close to 9 years now. But we are currently seeking a refinance opportunity and were told he must be on the deed to be considered as part of the...

Life Estate [ 2 Answers ]

My mother was given a life estate and the trust also states my older sister has a life estate; the trustee had the attorney that wrote the trust give my sister a letter telling her she has the same rights as our mother to the property. However, we have been researching this Life Estate issue. It...

Reversing a Quit Claim Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I recently filed a QuitClaim Deed and I put my two daughters names on the Deed, however I did it wrong. I ended up transferring my home over to them instead of just adding their names on the Deed as my Survivors as I had intended to do. Bad error on my part. Now I need to get it back in my name so...

View more questions Search