Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    conwankpa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Changing names on a mortgage
    I currently have a joint mortgage with a family member, who has decided that she no-longer wants to be on the mortgage, and wants to change the so that her brother is on the joint mortgage instead. As I am currently preparing to buy my own place, I no-longer want to be on the mortgage either, although we want to keep the property in the family.

I need to know how long I need to be on this new deed/ with this new family member before I can remove my name also?

Thanks

Cal.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Being on the mortgage and being on the deed are usually related but not the same thing. The mortgage lender is not likely to just let someone off the mortgage since they are obligated to pay. So the best way of changing who is on the mortgage is to refinance it.

However, a lender is also not likely to lend money to someone who is not an owner of the property, nor are they likely to lend money if all the property owners are not on the mortgage.

So the best thing to do is sell the property to the familiy members who want to maintain it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing names on mineral rights [ 2 Answers ]

My parents have passed a few years ago and me being power of attorney. I've failed to get the names changed on the mineral rights from the will to me and my brother and sister. We never hired an attorney and tried to do it ourselves and really haven't had any problem till now. I guess one thing I...

Changing my children's last names:/ [ 1 Answers ]

OK so here my problem me and my ex have two children ages 4 1/2, and 3 we were separated when both girls were born... both girls have my last name, Their father and I know have a great relationship and I want to change the girls last names to his... the problem I'm having is I have lived with my...

Changing last names [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to change my sons last name and I'm not sure if I need his fathers permission he hasn't been here since he was born and the baby is 5months old.. Does anyone know if I can change it with out him ?

Adding children's Names To Mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to add my grown up children to my mortgage as they are paying it as well as me, how can I go about this and how much will it cost. June Chapman

Changing last names [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know how I would go about legally changing the last names of my husband, two kids and myself to my maiden name.

View more questions Search