Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcons Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 05:36 AM
    Please Check Signal Cable
    Hi guys,
    I'm new here...

I got a problem with my old PC. Suddenly that word appear on my monitor... I can see the power led, also cd led... but not harddisk...
    I already replace video card and relocate RAM.. also use another monitor.. still got the same problem...

Don't u think my motherboard damage?

Thank in advance for reply
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 08:06 AM
    You said you tried different monitors - did you try different leads? It could be the lead.

Do you hear any beeps when the PC is booting up?
    arcons Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 07:08 PM
    There is no beeps at all.. the only thing I can hear from my PC is only fans.sorry I'm not familiar with the PC... what do you mean by lead?

Some of my friends said... it was my motherboard problem... for sure it will cost me a lot...
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2006, 02:37 AM
    When I said the lead, I mean the monitor lead/cable that goes from the PC to the monitor.

Don't worry about that though - it does sound like a hardware problem. The fact that you don't get any beeps may be something. My guess is that it will be either the RAM or the video card not being seated properly, possibly even damamged. It's more likely to be a problem with one of those than the motherboard.

You've said you are unfamiliar the PC. If you are not familiar with PC hardware I strongly recommend taking your PC to a repair shop to allow them to do the work for you. You can cause a lot of damamge to a PC if you don't know what you are doing. At the same time you can fry yourself on the static as well. Finally, a repair shop will have spare parts lying around so that they can test exactly what is wrong. You don't want to go out and buy a new motherboard to find out it was really the RAM.

If you still want to try though, here's what I recommend:

• Take anything you don't need out of the PC for now. E.g. sound card, modem. network card. Leave just the CPU, RAM and the video card. If it still doesn't work, then at least we know it's not one of the other PCI cards causing the problem. If it does work, put the cards in one by one trying to boot up each time. When it doesn't boot up you know the last thing you put in is the problem.
    • Do you have more than one stick of RAM? If so, try booting the PC with just one stick of RAM. See if it boots. Then take that stick out and try another. If it works for some sticks of RAM but not others, then it looks like you have a dodgy stick of RAM. Replace this and things should be fine.
    • Ensure the RAM is seated properly. It will have to be facing a certain way so that any clips etc. line up. Also make sure it is firmly pushed into the board. The RAM might also have to be seated in certain slots. For example, say you have 4 RAM slots. Your motherboard may require RAM to be in slots 1 & 3, or 2 & 4.
    • Have you done anything to your PC recently e.g. installed a new motherboard. This kind of problem is sometimes caused by people installing new motherbaords into their PC and not fixing the motherboard to the case properly.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2006, 07:50 AM
    I echo what LT said about taking it to a tech (tried to just comment but I need to spread). One possibility he didn't mention is a bad slot. Since you tried different monitors that would not appear to be the problem especially if the monitors worked on other PCs. Since you replaced the video board (assuming that worked elsewhere), that would appear not to be the problem.

If you are using a PCI video board you might try it in a different slot. But if you are using AGP, then you probably only have the one slot. And that may be damaged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No signal on startup? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my problem is this: When I turn on my computer, everything seems normal for a sec or two, but when the display is supposed to react and go from hypernation into active, it doesn't. I have searched the threads to look for a solution, but as I get no signal, I can't even go to the BIOS or...

Media Failure:Check cable [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, first post this so if I make any big mistakes please let me know! I recently got a second HDD to set up as a slave to my useless original one. I attempted to install it yesterday, following the instructions that came with it to the letter, turned the PC on and got IXE Media Test...

No Signal [ 3 Answers ]

Just built a new system. Pretty sure most of the specs are irrelevant except that you should know it's onboard video. So far the best I can come up with is that it's a faulty motherboard. Basically what happens is... nothing. I hook everything up, power up the computer and... nothing. Nothing...

No signal error [ 1 Answers ]

I recently put together one computer with parts that I ordered from tiger driect. I built my computer just fine and it was up and rnning for hours while I was installing windows xp pro on it. But my friend decided to tell me to overclock the cpu or something.. so he said to go into bios and put...

Msg: Please check the signal cables [ 9 Answers ]

The power supply on my computer is fried.. terrible smell, etc. I installed another power supply and the computer lights up and it shows activity on the Hard Drive but it never boots up. It just runs and runs. I get a message on the monitor to "check the signal cables" and nothing else... no...

View more questions Search