Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Dec 23, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Install outlet
    I purchased a flat-screen TV for my wife for Christmas (and we opened it early to get it installed). We've mounted it on the wall and put the AV cords behind the sheetrock using outlet-like boxes. The power cord is still showing, though - and she'd like me to get that hidden as well.

There is a 110 outlet near the floor beneath the mounted TV. The mounted TV sits about five feet up on the wall. I'd like to install an outlet for the TV behind the TV. This would be directly above the existing outlet, but approximately four feet higher.

How big of a job is it to install this new outlet? Can I tie into the existing outlet? What materials should I be getting (other than a box and plug set)?

Any help is much appreciated. I figure this can't be too tough - my dad used to do this all the time when I was a kid.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 06:44 PM

Move a large piece of furniture under the TV on the wall to hide the outlet. Much easier.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 07:04 PM

Many Cats(Firestops) are at 48", if the box opening is close to the cats, you may be able to drill down and pull romex from the new location to the receptacle below, if it happens to be closer to the ceiling, it may be easier to go from above(the attic) if one is there.
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2009, 02:22 PM

STG disagrees: Thanks... that contributed greatly to answering the question. /sarcasm

You're welcome. If your dad did this stuff all the time when you were a kid - ask him to do it for you.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Dec 25, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    You're welcome. If your dad did this stuff all the time when you were a kid - ask him to do it for you.
    Simple geography, dooter. I live in San Antonio... he lives in Minnesota. Posting cutesy suggestions doesn't help much when people are actually seeking a solution. I'm not sure what drove you to post something as silly as putting a piece of furniture over the cord, but it's not very helpful.
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by STG View Post
    Simple geography, dooter. I live in San Antonio...he lives in Minnesota. Posting cutesy suggestions doesn't help much when people are actually seeking a solution. I'm not sure what drove you to post something as silly as putting a piece of furniture over the cord, but it's not very helpful.
    Well you CAN call him up and ask him, you know. He can walk you through it over the phone. What's the difference if it's over the phone or on here in writing? None.

As for what possessed me I guess you could say the instant fix of shoving a large piece of furniture in front (not over) the cord will shut her up at least temporarily. Nothing is more annoying than a woman nagging about an exposed electrical cord.

I didn't deserve a reddie, but that's okay. Just remember I can reddie you back if I so chose to down the road for your "frivilous" answer to any question.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 25, 2009, 10:59 AM

I agree with Strat as far as his direction. I don't think it will be easier from the attic, Strats first directions are the best, drill down and create a short 5' old box to new box cable using 14/2 cable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install outlet [ 2 Answers ]

Approx. How much would it cost to put in a 220 v. outlet?

Install a 20 amp outlet [ 10 Answers ]

I have a box at outside back of my house that was originally installed in case a hot tub was ever put out there. The box has a large white wire a large black wire and a ground wire going to it then a place for two RK5 fuses they come from main junction box with a 50 AMP breaker switch.Do I simply...

How do I install a new cable outlet from an existing cable outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have cable and want to install a new cable box on another wall? How do I fish the cable to the new location and how do I install the new cable box outlet?

View more questions Search