Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Matos4206 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Speed and its Formula
    I've been slacking in class. Today my science teacher gave a lesson on speed and its formula and I missed it. I was given homework on it but I don't have an understanding on how to complete it.
    SameOldSituation Posts: 66, Reputation: 32

Apr 26, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Is this a question? Or a declarative statement?

Well, speed is similar to velocity, so v=x/t (or, dx/dt if you're in calc). However, you use distance, rather than displacement. So I guess it's s=d/t. Anyway, it's speed = distance divided by time. So, you travel 14 feet per second or something like that. You travel 14 feet per every one second.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 07:32 AM
    One other nuance - speed is a "scalar," meaning it has a magnitude but no direction, while velocity is a vector, meaning it has both a magnitude and direction. Thus if a car is heading north on the highway at 50 MPH, and a truck is heading south at 50 MPH, they both have the same speed, but their velocities are different. Treating velocity as a vector is what allows you to determine things like relative velocities of two objects, or the acceleration of an object that is moving in a circle at a constant speed.
    sheshan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 03:49 AM
    what is speed? Speed of a moving body is the distance travelled by it in unit time
    S = D / T
    Speed = Distance / Time
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 31, 2012, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheshan View Post
    what is speed? Speed of a moving body is the distance travelled by it in unit time
    S = D / T
    Speed = Distance / Time
    Sheshan - didn't you notice that this question was asked and answered over 5 years ago?? There's no value in providing a response that merely duplicates what was said before, especially since it was so long ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

Average Speed Formula [ 23 Answers ]

How would one write a formula to find the average speed if one knows the distance traveled and the rate of speed for each portion of the trip? 20 miles at m speed 40 miles at n speed

Speed formula help [ 6 Answers ]

OK I am taking my first physics class and I am not doing too great in it, but the good thing is this is only the first week of class. My question is about the speed formula. I know that the formula is S=D/T, but I still get the problems wrong even thow I plug in the numbers right. Here is an...

High-speed Cable/low Speed Operation [ 1 Answers ]

I had Time Warner Cable(TWC) Road Runner service(high-speed cable) installed recently on my Panasonic CF-47 Laptop. It turns out that it operates two times SLOWER than Dial-Up!! I have a W98 O/S. The High-speed cable into the computer measures normal(as measured by a super-tech with TWC). After he...

3 speed ceiling fan only has 1 speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 speed Hunter ceiling that I rarely turn off and all 3 speeds had been working. I recently turned it off and when I turned it back on, only the high speed is working. I assumed the switch was bad and replaced it. I still only have the High speed. Has anyone had this problem before? ...

View more questions Search