Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chazsgang Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2005, 07:33 PM
    Mistake
    Hi folks,

I used your site a lot over the years with great success so thought I would try again. I have just made a big mistake and now I am suffering.

My daughter asked me to find her a program to change the login screen on her PC and change her styles etc. I found a program called LogonLoader and tried it on my PC before giving to my daughter (just to be on the safe side). I installed it, changed my logon screen and rebooted the PC to see if it worked. Well it didn't and I kept getting an error message where the logon screen should be and wasn't able to get my PC running. I used my daughters PC internet connection to try and find a solution to this error and I ended up re-installing windows using the cd without losing any of my information.

The PC works fine now so far apart from a very slow start up and shutdown, but I did need to re-install windows service pack 2. This is the problem, when I try to re-install SP" i keep getting the following message:

"Windows has detected that one or more protected core system files (kernel) on your computer have been modified. The Service Pack contains updated versions of those files, which work to provide a stable environment for your programs. Due to this modification, the Service Pack will not be installed. For more information, see Knowledge Base article Q327101 at http://support.microsoft.com."

I followed al the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;327101 but still no luck, SP2 extracts but then tells me that there is a problem with the set up files, then cancels out.

I would be grateful if anyone out there could offer me some advice on how to fix this and re-install SP2. If you need any further information then please let me know. I am running Windows XP Pro with integrated SP1.

Thanks

Charllie
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2005, 05:53 AM
    Sp2
    Hi,
    This has to do with a kernal, exe file.
    Here is a link with step by step on how to fix it:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

It is not the same as the Microsoft site you gave, which I also visited.

Best of luck,
    fredg

Feb 22, 2005, 11:22 AM
    Hi Fredg

Thanks for your reply.

That done the job for me all sorted now. The only problem I have left is when turning off the PC for the night. It takes a while and hangs for a bit on the blue xp screen with the message "Windows Is Now Shutting Down". Any ideas how to get it to shut down more quick or any programs that can do it?

Thanks again
    Charllie
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2005, 05:14 AM
    Slow shutdown
    Hi, again,
    The slow shutdown could be related to, but not absolutely sure, a bunch of temp files or other junk files that you don't need.
    Here is a link to a very good, and free, Cleaner:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Also, have you run the Disk Cleanup option with XP lately?
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Feb 23, 2005, 10:28 AM
    Hi Fredg,

Thanks again for that. Ill download it later and give it a go.

Thanks again.

Charllie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think I made a mistake [ 4 Answers ]

Been dating this girl recently who I was really into, but due to circumstances at the time which I won't go into the situation couldn't work so I called it a day, she wasn't too happy. Things have changed and I really would like to see this girl again I just don't know how to approach her, i.e. I...

Made a big mistake [ 11 Answers ]

HI, I have a question I need to ask, well here it is. MY husband and I separated on June 30th of this year he said he need time to hisself to get his self together, when he was here he would leave everyday to play basketball he says and one morning he got up took a bath and said he was going to...

Did I make a mistake? [ 2 Answers ]

I used CPVC glue (otey gold) to glue a pvc trap together. Do I have to cut out and re-build the trap with PVC glue?

Deduction mistake [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I did not realize I could take my business mileage off my taxes last year. Can I redo my taxes for the previous year and include my mileage or do I have to live with the mistake?

I made a mistake [ 1 Answers ]

Hi lets just say I went with the wrong person as we say we all make mistakes and now I worry about my health anybody out there can tell if I'm healthy or not please? Ty

View more questions Search