Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessica125 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Filing past w-2s
    I hope some one can help me here, I never received my w-2s from the place I worked in 2003, due to moving and them not having my new address, and have now finally received them after some searching, and I was wondering if I would be able to file them this year, along with last years and this years w-2s? I never got around to filing last years, and though I would be able to do it this year along with this years w-2s and my w-2s from 2003. If any one has any advice, or would know, please let me know.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Mar 31, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica125
    i hope some one can help me here, i never recieved my w-2s from the place i worked in 2003, due to moving and them not having my new address, and have now finally recieved them after some searching, and i was wondering if i would be able to file them this year, along with last years and this years w-2s? i never got around to filing last years, and though i would be able to do it this year along with this years w-2s and my w-2s from 2003. if any one has any advice, or would know, please let me know.
    Yes, Jessica, you can file your tax returns for 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. You just file separate returns for 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. As a matter of fact, if you are due a refund for 2003, then you MUST file it now as the IRS will only give you a refund retroactive back to three years. If you don't file, you will lose the refund. But be sure that the only income that you had in 2003 was from your W-2s. Are you sure that you didn't have any interest income from your bank, or dividends? Just make sure that all of your income is reported. Anytime that you lose your W-2's, you can always call the IRS and they will send you a transcript of all of the income that was reported for you and you can use that transcript to file your tax returns. You can also go on line to the IRS web site and download the 1040 forms and booklets that you need to file with each year if you choose to prepare your own tax returns. Internal Revenue Service Hope this information helps you out. So get busy!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Jessica:

Mobea has it right. File the 2003 tax return RIGHT NOW.

Do not wait to search for the extra forms for 2003. You can always amend the return is necessary, but if you do not file the 2003 tax return by 15 April 2007, you LOSE THE REFUND!

That also applies for the state tax return, regardless of the state involved.

After you get the 2003 return done, you will have plent of time to file the rest pf the years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Complicated state tax filing between NY and NJ and missed filing from last year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am really confused and would appreciate some feedback into how I should proceed with my taxes. My background: I am a non-resident alien, Canadian citizen who is a masters student studying and residing in NJ. During 2006, I worked on campus for a few months and receieved a W2 for...

Dwelling on the past [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone well I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years now and we are like best friends. Except for one issue when we first started dating I felt the need to lie to him and tell him I had sex previously, I made the story up about a few guys and I think I did it becases I thought at the time he...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

Issue from my past [ 4 Answers ]

I am very happily married, so this has nothing to do with a desire for another man, just so I am understood. But, I had a love years ago, we almost married. He was hiding an onset of schitzophrenia, we tried to work through it, but it was too much for him. He left one day. My husband feels he...

View more questions Search