Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jan 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Pen & Paper Role-Playing Games
    Do you now, or have you ever, played pen and paper based role-playing games - like Dungeons & Dragons?

As a kid, and even through university, I played all kind of games in different genres. It was always a social experience, a theatrical performance, and really just plain fun, but an activity I never really pursued after I graduated from university.

I recently started looking into these games again (after almost 18 years), and it strikes me how much this activity really is "exercise for the brain"... I learned how to focus through reading and understanding the game rules, I became much more organized, I came to understand team dynamics , I even learned speaking and performance skills - all of which fed my confidence. But mostly, I am really amazed at how how much these games fed my imagination and bolstered my creativity.

And yet ... Despite all these benefits, I still have a twinge of embarrassment when I start talking about them. You would think by now I wouldn't be worried about being called a "D&D geek" anymore... :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Haha when I was in the Marines I'd play from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening - with beer and chips as my only nourishment :p

Don't worry what they say about you. You know you are a geek at heart; and that's a good thing :p
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 17, 2007, 01:33 PM
    *Holds hand in the air*

You can count me in too.
    I started with D&D, and gradually moved into other genres, like Call of Cuthulu, Hero System, Traveller, Toon! MERP and quite a few others.

I agree they are certainly enhancing of cognative abilities (but not spelling).

WHere you only a D&D geek or did you try any others?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jan 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
    I started Basic D&D back in 1983 or so (the red box set was my first)... In the early 90's I was playing Twilight 2000 and CyberPunk 2020.

I thought the GURPS system looked like it would be good - at least I always really enjoyed reading the books they put out. I loved the CyberPunk book - it's what led me to CP2020.

Early in my career was I was moving around a lot, so I ended up selling all the stuff I had accumulated. But now... I think I'm interested in it again. :)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 17, 2007, 02:06 PM
    I'm a CHICK geek.

I started with Cyberpunk and Twilight 2000 (as almost a 'guest' character in another person's campaign) and when that group started a D&D campaign, I was so in. That campaign lasted 2 years (until the DM graduated with his BBA) and for the last 10 years I've only had the opportunity for short campaigns (6 months for D&D tops, or short afternoon Cthulhu campaigns).

Gaming made a HUGE difference in how I view myself, and in how I solve problems, and how I view teamwork. I definitely think more "out of the box" because of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this guy playing games w/ me? [ 5 Answers ]

all right me and this guy met on a family trip. Exchanged numbers and started talking. In the beginning he told me he didn't want a relationship. I did. He told me he wanted to be "friends w/ benefits." I agreed. The idea didn't seem too harmful, hooking up w/ a hot guy no strings attached? We only...

Ex is playing games am I right to walk away? [ 7 Answers ]

I posted a question here about three weeks ago and I got some really great advice back, it was with regards to my ex-girlfriend, we had been out of contact for about two months after trying to be friends, I thought I was never going to hear from her again, and to be honest I was slowly getting use...

The games he's playing [ 3 Answers ]

Dear experts, Okay, here's the skeeze... this guy that I have been friends with for five or six years is everything I thought I needed in every other man I'd dated. He's smart, career driven, athletic, and above all, he's very nice, honest, and very sweet. And he's also got the face of an...

Xp hangs when playing games [ 1 Answers ]

Im using XP, 40gb hardisk, 128 ram asus board , every time I play Battle Realms in the middle of the game my PC hangs and I get a message "microsoft just resolve a serious problem, would you like to send the problem". By the way the hardrive is partitioned and drive c: has 120 mb drivespace left ,...

Playing 95 games on xp [ 2 Answers ]

I have been trying to play a game for windows 95 on windows xp . I have been doing what help has told me with no success... insert disc,close window,start,my computer,click game icon,cd rom right click auto run ,select properties,select compatibility tab for 95 After all this i get a message...

View more questions Search