Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romag6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Pitbull with emotional issues won't eat
    A few years ago, we returned home from a weekend camping trip to find an abused and severely malnourished pitbull on our porch. We took her into our home which was already occuppied by a Dingo and a Rottweiler. All three dogs managed to respect each other on their level and there was some harmony in the house. With time, the Dingo then the Rottweiler passed away. The pitbull is the only dog we have now. Her eating habits are of concern to us. She will go for days not eating her food. However, if we hand feed her she will eat. If we put dry food on the floor (not in her bowl) she eats that. We have tried changing her food bowl but to no avail. She has no problem eating people food, milkbones, steak bones or rawhides. When the other two dogs were with us she learned to eat her food before the others could claim it. We believe her behavior is psychological stemming from the abuse she received as a puppy and then the loss of the pack when the other dogs passed away. How can we motivate her to eat her food? She has been to the vet and there is nothing physically wrong with her.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Christmas has gone, but not Labman the grinch. Evaluate her using the method illustrated in this link, http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx My guess she is too fat and will eat the rich stuff you are giving her, but not the chow she needs for a complete and balanced diet. Unless the vet is concerned with her weight, listen to the grinch.

Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.

You might also consider adding another dog. You should have no problem finding a male past the puppy stage needing a home. That is what she should most likely accept.
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 7, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Crack me up Labman...

But yes, you are probably so worried you're feeding her enough treats that she doesn't need the food, and is eating it when you are babying her.

I would go to a regimented feeding schedule and ban treats for at least a month so you can rebuild the routine of eating her food. She can go several days of refusing to eat before she is in the slightest bit of danger - but I bet she won't !

-Beth

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is pitbull aggressive or.. [ 37 Answers ]

I read many opinons and I think the owner is guilty for aggression of pitbull dog Is pitbull aggressive breed or people make it aggressive? What You think?

My pitbull won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed my 9 month pitbull has been really picky to the point where he won't eat for a day or so just nibble at his food for a little bit when he used to eat close to 2 bowls a day the only thing I have noticed is that is eyelids are Pinker and has more moisturer than normal? He is still...

Emotional Hostage [ 6 Answers ]

I need some information on dealing with a person who is extremely compulsive and has extreme boundary issues. She is my younger sister. I took care of my mother at home for two years after she had a stroke. She passed away a couple of years ago, and at that time, I invited my younger sister to...

Underweigh pitbull puppy [ 8 Answers ]

I have just recently gotten a new puppy, she is about 10 weeks old, I feed her everday when I feed my other 2 pitbulls, they look fine, but she looks real skinny, I just found out that she is dumping her water over not long after it gets out there, I was wondering if her not getting enough water...

Pitbull pooping problem [ 17 Answers ]

I have had my puppy for about 4months, when we got him he was 4 months. Every since we got him we have been trying to train him and it has been nothing but a problem. When we think he's got it we will come up and find poop in his cage. Is it to late to try and train him or is there something we can...

View more questions Search