Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sodium Posts: 250, Reputation: 6

Sep 18, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Gr 11 physics prob
    Hello everyone!
    Just going over my physics review, and realized I have no idea about one of these questions, please help and explain what you are doing, THANKS:)

A crazy transport truck who was driving 130km/h behind mr. Berk spots mr berks VW jetta at a distance of 75 m from his bumper. He hits the brakes.

a) if his reaction time is .8s how far does he travel before the brakes are engaged

b) the truck begins decellerating at 15m/s squared fish tailing widly. Does he hit mr berks car?

Please explain!

And another one...

A ball is launched vertically in the air with a initial velocity or 23m/s [up]. How high with the ball travel up from the point where it was launched (hint the ball will decelerate at the same rate it would accelerate had it been dropped)

Ugh!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 01:11 AM

1. a) The truck is travelling 130km/h. In 0.8 s, he makes how much distance?

Use

Be careful of the units!

b) Ok, you have the initial speed, the decceleration. Use

v is the final speed (0 km/h)
    u is the initial speed (130 km/h)
    a is the acceleration. Since it deccelerates, the value is -15m/s^2
    s is the displacement.

Solve for s. If s is larger than the remaining distance (75 m - thinking distance), then, the collide. Be careful of the units once again!

2. Use again

When the ball reaches its highest point, its velocity will be 0. Solve for s.

I hope it helped! :)
    Sodium Posts: 250, Reputation: 6

Sep 20, 2009, 09:09 PM

I understand 1 a now!
    But the other two I am still confused on, I don't know those formulas, so it throws me off.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 11:12 PM

Ok, I'll do the derivative of the formula

You know that ?

That's from the definition of acceleration:

Now, you also know that (Total Displacement = Average Speed x Total Time[/math]

In the first formula, make t the subject;

Substitute t in the second formula;

Expand;

And finally simplify;

That formula is very important, because it allows to to solve certain problems when you don't have the time.

Okay? :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can anyone help me with my prob? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok I'm 16 years old and male and I'm asking how do you ask a girl out.. I mean I have friends who are girls, and they give me advice, but it doesn't help, and I get so nervous that, when I start to talk to a girl I end up saying nothing. Can anyone help me?

Immigration prob [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé is being held in immigration jail right now. The only way for him to be released and not get deported is to get his felony case appealed. If we were to get married now while he is in jail (if that is possible) could he still be deported?

Last name prob. [ 8 Answers ]

OK I have a prob. I'm going to have my baby next month and I want to no if I can give her any last name even if it has nothing to do with me

I have a big prob please help [ 3 Answers ]

OK here's the thing I am really shy around my boyfriend. Because my last boyfriend I got to close to to fast and when he broke up with me about 5 months ago I was really upset and I'm still not 100%over it. But I've got a new boyfriend and I lve him to death but now I'm like really shy around him...

View more questions Search