Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deceasedbrother Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Does the family of deceased brother have rights to visitation of nephew?
    My brother has been deceased for 3 years and ever since we have had a hard time getting to see his son. His ex wife lets us when its convenient for her, when she wants to go out clubbing. Also she is remarried and her husband is in the military and abusive to her, and does not like my nephew at all. My 8 year old nephew has told us of the step father hitting him, locking him in the bedroom all day and just recently hitting him with a screw driver because he splashed water out of the tub. We called the police and dss and they came out, took pictures and talked to my nephew.. they said he would be assigned a case worker and she would contact us in the morning. Well she never called and the next thing we know the mother was allowed to come and get her son. Do we have any legal rights to visitation or to fight for custody of him. I find it hard to believe that just because my brother is dead that his family has no rights. We are talking about a 8 year old boy who has suffered more then most adults losing a parent, its in the best interest of the child that he shares equall part with both family. Please help.. . we live in North Carolina.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 07:17 AM
    <moved to Family Law>
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 11:48 AM

I don't know about NC, but in California you can have visitation with the child of a deceased relative. It's called (loosely) close relative visitation.

I've handled a case like this before.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to become executor of deceased brother [ 2 Answers ]

My brother recently passed away and did not leave a will. He does have a 22 year old son. He has virtually no assets or debts but did have a tax return check. The Feds reissued the check to "Estate of". How do I (or his son) become the executor of his estate so that we can cash the tax refund check...

Selling Family Home - Relocate Nephew [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the family home, the close date is October 29, and are having trouble relocating one of the occupants. My 30-year old nephew lives in the house with his mother, my sister. My sister is on fixed income, but we have been able to find her a small apartment to move to since she...

Louisiana Law on inheriting money from my deceased brother? [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited money from my deceased brother's will. I'm on disablity and I would like to know if this money would jeopardize my disability income? I'm 75 years old. I no longer file income taxes... would I have to because of this money? It's less than 50,000. Would I have to pay inheritance...

View more questions Search