Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sue61 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Please help my mother!
    My mother is 73 years old and she has 30,000.00 in credit card debt. She has depleted her savings and gets $490. A month in social security. She owns a home in a cooperative in NJ and can't get a reverse mortgage because Nj doesn't allow that on cooperatives. She was advised not to go bankrupt because she would have to sell her home. She won't sell it. She was also advised to not pay the credit card debt and to send a letter to the cc companies stating that she cannot pay and to just leave it at that. I am at my wits end as to how to help her I can't afford to pay her bills and mine. Can someone tell me what the best thing to do is? Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2006, 06:35 PM
    First of course someone should have been involved long before she got 30,000 in debt, that is an issue she has to deal with.

But this is a very simple issue at this point,

She can't pay them if she wanted to, she does not make enough to pay utilities and food hardly.

So just don't pay them. They may or may not, get a judgement attach any bank accounts and perhaps put a lien on the property, but that is the worst they can do.

Now if her social security is on direct deposit, they can attack the bank account once the check is deposited, but can not garnish the actual check, so she may need to go back to a physcial check and pay bills with money orders and not have a checking account
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2006, 09:48 PM
    I agree with Chuck.

Have her stop paying all together, simply because she can not possibly afford to pay it.

They cannot take her house, but when she dies, the house will be sold and the entire amount most likely will go to the credit card companies.

And Chuck brings up a good point about the cheques/bank account.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2006, 05:24 AM
    HI,
    I agree with the answers before mine.
    Please don't sign anything yourself with the credit card company. It could possibly make you responsible for all this debt!
    Don't worry about trying to help your Mom pay it off, because you can't, and it's not your responsibility, as long as it's in her name only.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 9, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Just one question, why is bankruptcy not an option?
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Apr 9, 2006, 08:14 AM
    Good point talaniman, why does she not make herself bankrupt ! Yea it will screw her credit rating for some time, but its got to be better then being in loads of debt...
    Sue61 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 01:01 PM
    Thank you everyone for your input. Just for the record--I was involved in her finances--she was very good at hiding certain things so that I would not get mad. Also she can't declare bankruptcy because she will lose her house and I think that might just kill her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have never met my mother [ 12 Answers ]

I have been searching for my mother since I was 21 years old. I am now almost 31 and all I have found out was her name and date she married my dad and how old she was when she married my dad. I was not adopted. My dad raised me. For some reason my dad would not tell me anything about her and now he...

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

Please Help me help my mother [ 13 Answers ]

Hi my name is jermaine, I'm new to this board. My mother who is 65yrs of age has a occupier staying in her basement located in new york, he was paying a occupancy fee for a total of about 3-4 months. He stopped paying the occupancy fee in end of June and stated that he will be leaving leaving...

Scared Mother [ 3 Answers ]

My oldest son is 18 almost 19 years old. He went to DJJ for breaking into several homes in our neighborhood. My son is very smart maybe too smart. After he was in DJJ for a couple of months they sent him to the Mental Hospital where he was diagnosed with Bipolar. He came home after being in a...

Will mother and son know each other? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old male cat. We got him from my grandfather who still has the mother and the sister. They were together until he was about 4 months old. If I brought my cat to see the mother and the sister, would he still recognize them? I would like to bring them together again but, I don't...

View more questions Search