Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 9, 2006, 01:36 PM
    Does England have a snow balls hope in the world cup ?
    OK so Sven has named the squad that's going to the world cup.
    Has he lost his mind or is it a case he can't be sacked as he's already resigned!

Just what is he playing at?

The whole idea of the WOrld Cup is a showcase for the great and the good of English football, but no he names unknowns and untried players !

So in all honesty do England have any chnace at all or are we just going to be knocked out at the groups stage.

Here's some further info for those that haven't been following.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Im an england supporter and I always feel let down with their performance in the world cup.
    zakk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2006, 02:31 AM
    England as always are one of the favourites but will have their work cut out if they are going to win the tournament. To name only four strikers, of which two are currently crocked and unfit is a huge gamble. That leaves Eriksson will very limited options. Walcott and Crouch upfront, Crouch on his own, or using Joe Cole in a supporting role with either Walcott or Crouch leading the attack. If Rooney and Owen are not fit, Walcott will end up carrying a nations hopes on his young shoulders. Can he hack it? Time will tell.

As for the defence and midfield. It is sound as ever. But England are outclassed by other teams technically. Brazil, Holland, Italy and Argentina are all technically superior. Man for man, England probably have the stronghest team but collectively they might struggle against the bigger teams in the tournament. If England are hit with injury problems early on, this can have a hugely negative impact on the team. If Owen and Rooney don't make it, I fear they may even lose the opening game against Paraguay. Although, I think the Paraguyans will be hoping for a draw. England will get out the group OK. Both Sweden and England will be vying for the first place in their group.
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

May 11, 2006, 11:19 PM
    Hello Curly Ben,

Being a Brit I would love to see England lift this coveted trophy, but unfortunately I feel it extremely unlikely.

Although the team has not been placed in the most difficult group and they are avoiding Germany, I feel they may not even qualify for the 2nd round, but I hope I am totally wrong about that.

I know that if I were a member of the squad I would be on a 'downer' already, not because of the injury to Rooney but all the publicity given about it.

It has been said that if Rooney does not get fit enough to play, England cannot win the World Cup. That to me is a is a ridiculous statement and if I were in the team I would take it as a slight against my ability. If we have to rely on one single player for success, English football is in a sorrier state than I thought.

The English media have to take a great deal of blame for the success or otherwise of the teams performance. The TV & papers seem only to be negative about England's football team and their chances. They react the same for most British sports and find it better, easier and preferable to criticize, and decry British sport than to support and try to instill confidence.

Lets not forget that England is unfortunately the only home nation representing the UK this time around. We should give them all the support we can.

However lets not forget Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Olympic Games creed:

"The most important thing is not to win but the taking part"

England has qualified and are taking part so lets support them all the way.

Perhaps they will prove us wrong and bring home the bacon and the FIFA World Cup Trophy,
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

May 22, 2006, 07:19 AM
    Two simple questions :-

" How many 'International' players are we (England) fielding ? "

" How many 'Home' league players is Brazil fielding ? "

The answers will tell you who'll be on the first plane home.

The conclusion being that we do not have enough home talent - If we had they'd be playing in Spain or Italy. :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snow queen? [ 2 Answers ]

:rolleyes: I watched a weird version of the snow queen when I was little and can't find it! :mad: It was a badly dubbed 70's film or mayby 80's. Think it was originally made in German. The boys Name is Kay and the girl was Gretta I think. In the beginning there is an ink pot on a cabbinet...

Snow blower shear pin [ 1 Answers ]

I broke a shear pin on my craftsman snow thrower. The head and retainer nut are sheared off properly but I don't know how to get the actual pin out of the shaft. Should I just use a small screwdriver and hammer and just knock it out? I have replacement pins.

Heated up balls [ 3 Answers ]

kind of a random question: What kind of damage is possible if your balls remain at a higher than normal temperature for too long. I often sit with my laptop directly on my lap for extended periods. I'm wearing clothes at the time but afterwards I can feel that my balls are pretty heated from...

View more questions Search