Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    psychman09 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 12:22 PM
    What to do with a puppy who itches a lot?
    I have a miniature poodle. She is just about the most adorable creature I have every come into contact with. I have had her for about 5 months now and she is a year old. For about a month or so now she has been itching quite a bit and biting at different areas on her body. At first I thought that maybe she had flees. And given that her hair is very short and easy to look through I gave her the look over and couldn't find any. I don't use any monthly flee products suchs as gells on her. She is sometimes given a flee bath when returning from places where there are dogs who do have flees. Other then that She is given a bath about 2 times a month sometimes 3. I think possibily it could be dry skin but if it is, I am not sure how to treat it. I would appreciate any suggestions and the little pup would as well.
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

Jan 29, 2008, 12:34 PM
    My dog has very thin, short hair, and I use Frontline on her. I once stopped using it for a few months and she would scratch a lot. Ever since I started using it again, no scratching. I thought she didn't have any fleas, until one day one jumped on my arm.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 29, 2008, 12:49 PM
    The fleas can lay eggs, so repeating the flea baths or using a product like Frontline can help. That is why you have to do several applications with those products. I would try using a different flea product or repeating the use (as long as the directions say it's safe to). Make sure there aren't any fleas in the house too.

I used to have a dog with dry skin problems. I used a shampoo that had oatmeal in it. The vet recommended it to me and said that it is soothing for their skin.

If it doesn't get better after a little while, I would take her to the vet just to rule out allergies and other problems.

Hope doggy is feeling better soon! :)
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Jan 30, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Your dog can be itching for numerus of reasons. It can be the food you feed your dog and it could be the soap you use to clean your dog. Here is a site you should look at.
    Grooming - Time For A Dog Bath? - Canada's Guide to Dogs
    It can give you some advise onto cleaning your dog. It's good to see some people caring about there animals. Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy trying to go back home? Puppy Attatchment? [ 8 Answers ]

http://bp2.blogger.com/_FAAhWpUtQZk/RuRyYXJT6-I/AAAAAAAAABE/oFHBuJrtsyU/s1600-h/buddahs.jpg Photo can also be seen at buddahs.jpg (image) Above a photo of Johnny Cash (jack russell mix). Someone gave me this dog mid August when she was 2 months old. I had her from mid August till the end of...

It doesn't look any different, but it itches. [ 6 Answers ]

I have been suffering from an itch that is around my hole. At first I thought that it was just because I tried shaving there and it was just a rash from that, but it hasn't really gone away. I have tried putting lotion and itch cream around it to see if it helps, but it doesn't seem to be...

Puppy pining after death of puppy sister [ 1 Answers ]

In November I adopted two no determined breed puppies who were about 9 weeks old. Although they did not look alike, my feeling was they were siblings. WE have had several power outages in our area and despite having two gates barring my property the puppies were able to get out and sadly the...

My puppy drinks a lot of water [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy drinks a lot of water. I keep it out for him all the time, but if you fill the bowl he'll drink the whole thing and then continue it again if u refill it. Also when u go outside and its rained or raining he's more interested in drinking the water off the grass and leaves and such than...

Scrotum itches Badly [ 6 Answers ]

My balls have been itching extremely badly and I can't take it anymore. I don't know how to stop it. I thought crabs was possible so I thought shaving would help bt I thought it might make it itch worse if I was wrong so are there any other things I could try to stop the itching? I just can't take...

View more questions Search