Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2005, 11:42 PM
    Bathtub heated and jetted
    The bathtub requires 2 20amp circuits. One for the pump and the other for the heater. I am going to install a 2 gang box with 2 gfi receptacles. Can I run 12-3 wire and have the 2 GFI breakers share the same neutral wire?

Thanks for your help
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 02:30 AM
    No shared neutrals with GFI devices because the neutral current is measured and compared to the current that flows in the hot wire, and trips if there is a difference.

You mention GFI breakers and receptacles, this is not necessary to protect GFI receptacles with a GFI breaker. Use either one or the other, but not both.

If you use standard breakers you can use #12/3 up to the GFI receptacles, then, only 2 wire from each load side to the motor and heater.

Shared neutrals are still allowed, but becoming a thing of the past. If the neutral ever breaks connection, you will apply 240 volts across the 120 volt load, and destroy the appliances.
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2005, 06:55 AM
    I need to better explain:

Using a regular 2 pole breaker from the sub panel I want to run 12-3 wire to the bathtub. I would then use 2 separate GFI receptacles. One for the pump and the other for the heater. That is why I would use a 2 gang box.

Thanks tkrussel for your help
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2005, 12:39 PM
    Yes that will work, although, like I said , shared neutrals can pose a problem if the neutral is broken at any place and anytime. If you were to hire me, I would be installing two 2 wire cables to feed the GFI receptacles.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2005, 07:27 PM
    Might also consider using faceless GFI's on the wall as opposed to having them below. I do realize, however, that this may add extra work in an "old work" environment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jetted tub [ 3 Answers ]

Jetted tub made by better bats components, won turn on or shut off unless I use circuit breaker?

Another Jetted tub question [ 3 Answers ]

I am also installing a jetted tub with an in-line heater. American Standard recommends using 2 circuits, one for the heater and one for the pump. I ran 20 amp circuits, even though 15 amp is all that was required. I am using GF CB and not GFI's as I don't want anyone to be tempted reset the...

Help! Under the bathtub... [ 1 Answers ]

We are putting in a new tub due to some leakage in the previous tub surround. When we pulled up the tub, the tub drain hooks to a larger drain. The top of this larger drain appears to be open. Is this to vent the drain? It appears that the toilet also hooks to this drain. What keeps the...

Heated up balls [ 3 Answers ]

kind of a random question: What kind of damage is possible if your balls remain at a higher than normal temperature for too long. I often sit with my laptop directly on my lap for extended periods. I'm wearing clothes at the time but afterwards I can feel that my balls are pretty heated from...

View more questions Search