Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccmom56 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Oct 4, 2011, 02:13 PM
    What are your feelings on treatment of steriod injection for nerve root s1
    Mri with contrast shows I have a piece of disc (according to my pain management doctor) floating in the S1-L5 area of my spine. This has caused entrapment of my S1 nerve on both the left or right side of the nerve root. Mri I have states "some enhancing fibrosis around the S1 nerve root and dural sac". My doctor would like me to try steroid injections in this area to "clean up toxins around the nerve". States will not help with the piece of "floating" disc, which is what is causing most of my pain. Is this normal procedure? And is it worth the risks that may be involved. Would love input from others that have had these injections.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2011, 02:18 PM
    I have had steroid injections in the area of my spine. They work very, very well - for me.

I don't know if it's a "normal" procedure but I trust my Physician, it was his recommendation, I am pain free about three days after the injections.

I question how safe steroids are in large dosages but I do trust him.
    ccmom56 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Oct 4, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Yes I question the use of steroids period. Especially since it will not help me with my main pain problem. Is she trying to really help me or is it just another thing to bill medicaid for. Never heard of toxins and stuff being around the pinched nerves, but I'm no expert. Just don't want any unnecessary procedures.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2011, 05:20 PM
    Here is a link to MedicineNet that contains a section on patient discussions. These are user reports involving at least some of the same type of injections you are contemplating.

Patient Discussions: Cortisone Injection - Side effects - Viewers Share Their Medical Experiences on MedicineNet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Root canal treatment of teeth [ 1 Answers ]

I have done root canal treatment of teeth before 3 days but my teeth was jerk before done root canal treatment.Was it possible it will be well and I can't loose a teeth?

Hi... dentist took out nerve without telling me... nerve taken out of right back molar [ 1 Answers ]

hi... dentist took out nerve without telling me... nerve taken out of right back molar in dec last year. Said he will complete root canal in 5 months(to give me time to save up to pay for it) I went back 4 days later to clean it out again as it didn't feel right. Then went to clean out again in end...

After the root canal treatment, why does the sensitivity and tenderness occur? [ 13 Answers ]

I am 57 years old recently I had root canal treatment. Tenderness and sensitvity reocurring. Please give me the possible causes.

Drill bit broke during root canal treatment? [ 2 Answers ]

Had 1st stage of root canal treatment, Dentist at end of visit told me drill bit broke and was in tooth but not to worry. 2nd visit had another x-ray so she could see drill bit and she spent visit trying to remove at my cost. She said she could not remove. She gave me 3 options.Pull tooth out ,go...

View more questions Search