Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EdInOrlando Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 06:35 AM
    What is the difference between metoprolol tasan and metoprolol taeth?
    I have been taking "metoprolol succ er 25mg tasan" for about a year. I just picked up a refill and it is a much larger tablet, and the label reads "metoprolol succ er 25mg taeth." I would like to know the difference between the "tasan" and the "taeth." I am having trouble finding either of those on the internet.

Thanks
    GeekyFlygirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 05:51 PM
    I just called my local CVS pharmacy with this same question. The pharmacist told me the "TA" means "tablet" and the "SAN" is the beginning 3 letters of the manufacturer. The "ETH" is another manufacturer. She described the letters on the old and new tablets, the TAETH being larger and football-shaped with a 369 on one side and the scoring mark on the other side. She assured me it is the same tablet but a different manufacturer and it was a company in the United States.
    Dr Dermie Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2008, 08:15 AM
    GeekyFlyGirl is correct. The suffixes and abbreviations scored on the tablets refer to the manufacturer and sometimes a serial number used to distinguish and identify the compound. SAN could be Sanofi, ETH may be Ethicon. The active ingredient and its excipient should be clearly stated on the label. "Succ" is short for succinate. Metoprolol succinate in a water solution at body temperature is going to dissociate in a way that offers you maximum bioavailability. Some actives are better combined with sulphates or other substrates to form a salt - (would any pharmacologists out there please check me on this?) Good luck with the nausea or vertigo or both...
    GRIMMOM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 04:43 PM
    My husband gets dizzy when taking metoprolol succinate but is fine when he takes metoprolol tartrate. He has to cut the succinate pill in half, but can take tartrate same mg fine. My guess is that this is due to the sudden release of succinate and slow release of tartrate. Does this seem reasonable? Any pharmacist?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metoprolol Succ er 25 MG Taeth [ 3 Answers ]

I have been taking Metoprolol Succ er 25 MG Taeth for several weeks for blood pressure. In the past 2 weeks I have been experiencing headaches not long after taking my daily pill. These headaches are in the temple area and on top of my head. I will go as long as I can with my headache then I...

Metoprolol Succinate vs Metoprolol Tartrate [ 1 Answers ]

Are these medications the same?

Metoprolol Succinate ER vs Metoprolol Tartrate [ 2 Answers ]

My family has a prescription for Toprol, both have the same milligrams. One prescription bottle has the generic Metoprolol Succinate ER and one has the generic Metoprolol Tartrate. Is there a difference and if so what is it?

Metoprolol 25 compared metoprolol succ er 25 [ 3 Answers ]

I have two prescriptions: metoprolol tartarate 25 mg and metoprolol succ er 25 mg. Does anyone know what the effective difference is? :confused: Can one replace the other? Or be used instead of the other? Thanks! :)

Metoprolol Succinate ER and Metoprolol Tartrate [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between metoprolol succ ER metoprolol tartrate?

View more questions Search