Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    staples120703 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Jun 2, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Low HCG levels on blood test
    I am trying to conceive my second child before my husband is deployed, my last period was on April 29th, I spotted on May 26 (light pink tinge) I am extremely tired all the time now and breasts are starting to get a little sore. I usually bleed after intercourse due to having endometriosis, but that has stopped happening also, taken several urine tests at sensitivity level at 25 mlU and all negative, first blood test last Thursday was a 1 mlU and the second blood test was done today 4 days later and it only raised to 2 mlU. The doctors state that anything lower than a 5 mlU is a negative result, but how is the HCG level there if Im not pregnant and how is it rising slowly? And I am a week late on my period? Can anyone please help me understand this and tell me if I may be pregnant... My husband gets deployed in two weeks, Im on a major time limit to conceiving, Thank you!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 02:38 AM
    When you aren't pregnant, you will often see very low levels register, if at all. It can be that you may have been pregnant and miscarried, or the egg never really implanted properly... could also be due to an ectopic pregnancy where levels would rise quite slowly. Sometimes levels are just slow to rise and don't fall within the doubling every couple of days time frame that is often given. Could be very early yet. See what happens when your next period is due... or, if you can't stand the wait, try another test in about a week.

Jun 3, 2008, 09:23 PM
    I know that I did not have a miscarriage, I have had no bleeding or anything that would indicate miscarriage, I don't know much about ectopic pregnancies but do know that I am at higher risk due to endometriosis damaging left follopian tube, my risk went from 2% to 5% I had what I thought was implantation bleeing though on May 26, the one thing that I don't understand is how can my hcg levels be going up slowly if Im not pregnant? I mean how could hcg hormone even be in my blood if I am not pregnant, hcg is made by the placenta, and if Im not pregnant then I shouldn't be producing at all. I am really confused about this matter and my OBGYN is of no help for answers to my questions, PLEASE some help shed a little light on my problems
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by staples120703
    I know that I did not have a miscarriage, I have had no bleeding or anything that would indicate miscarriage, I don't know much about ectopic pregnancies but do know that I am at higher risk due to endometriosis damaging left follopian tube, my risk went from 2% to 5% I had what i thought was implantation bleeing though on May 26, the one thing that I don't understand is how can my hcg levels be going up slowly if Im not pregnant? I mean how could hcg hormone even be in my blood if I am not pregnant, hcg is made by the placenta, and if Im not preg then I shouldn't be producing at all. i am really confused about this matter and my OBGYN is of no help for answers to my questions, PLEASE some help shed a little light on my problems
    The levels to insure a sustainable pregnancy are produced by the placenta after the first few weeks, and this is where the rise in level occurs, but you can have fluctuating levels below the usual marker of pregnancy (5ml)... men will also have trace amounts of hcg in their system. The low levels in a possible pregnancy may indicate a miscarriage, or a possible miscarriage that has yet to happen. Most women have probably had one of these early miscarriages at one time or another and would never even know it.
    There are other possible reasons for having the hcg in your system, but since the levels are so low they would not be of a concern as they fall into what would be considered a normal range.
    If you continue to have pregnancy type symptoms, and still no period shows up, I'd ask about another test to confirm. Could be things were just starting up when the other tests were taken. Good luck!

Jun 4, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Thank you! I think that if I am pregnant that it would still be very early maybe 2 weeks or so, My Dr is going to do another test next week to see if the hcg level is still going up. This will confirm pregnancy or not, or at least I hope so. I didn't take the clomid this month due to lack of period and also the possibility of pregnancy, I didn't want to take any chances, my husband just wants to keep trying and hopefully we will get pregnant if we aren't already by the time he deploys. Now without getting my period, do I still go off what should be my next ovulation day or is it really messed up now that I missed a period?
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 02:27 AM
    Thank you! I think that if I am pregnant that it would still be very early maybe 2 weeks or so, My Dr is going to do another test next week to see if the hcg level is still going up. This will confirm pregnancy or not, or atleast I hope so. I didn't take the clomid this month due to lack of period and also the possibility of pregnancy, I didn't want to take any chances, my husband just wants to keep trying and hopefully we will get pregnant if we aren't already by the time he deploys. Now without getting my period, do I still go off what should be my next ovulation day or is it really messed up now that I missed a period?
    How long have you been on the clomid? Were you monitored to check whether your body was preparing to ovulate? You may not have ovulated since you didn't have a period this cycle... or you could be in very early pregnancy. I know time is a major issue in your situation, but I wouldn't take the clomid until you know for sure about whether you are pregnant or not.
    LOSTLUCY Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 09:10 PM
    I am trying to conceive my second child before my husband is deployed, my last period was on April 29th, i spotted on May 26 (light pink tinge) I am extremely tired all the time now and breasts are starting to get a little sore. I usually bleed after intercourse due to having endometriosis, but that has stopped happening also, taken several urine tests at sensitivity level at 25 mlU and all neg, first blood test last thursday was a 1 mlU and the second blood test was done today 4 days later and it only raised to 2 mlU. The drs state that anything lower than a 5 mlU is a neg result, but how is the HCG level there if Im not pregnant and how is it rising slowly? And I am a week late on my period? Can anyone please help me understand this and tell me if I may be pregnant....My husband gets deployed in two weeks, Im on a major time limit to conceiving, Thank you!
    Clomid pushes your cycles to 31 days and has no bearing on HCG levels. You may have conceived later than when you think. I would say as long as your hcg levels are rising then there is tons of hope for you and your family. Some people actually ovulate nowhere near their 14th day but clomid extends that window tremendously so you may have conceived way beyond what you thought your ovulation window to be. I have done 7 months of clomid and was unable to conceive. Then out of the middle of nowhere I was pregnant. Now going through my 1st miscarriage and I too am anxious to start clomid again. We are both in the military and we are trying to conceive before he deploys as well. Best of wishes!

Jun 6, 2008, 09:39 PM
    I only took one cycle of clomid so far, but the Drs weren't very good with me, they didn't tell me how to estimate when ovulation would take place nor have I seen them since, they just sent me for blood work and that was it, and that was my OBGYN I have been talking to my primary Dr and they did the second blood test for me, but kind of clueless to why my # is rising but I haven't gotten to above a 6 yet, and they are having me do another test this coming week to see where my #s are at then, hopefully they know better what's going on then, Does anyone know how long after implantation it takes for a blood test to say Pos, I took both tests within the same week I think I implanted which was May 26, I took the tests on May 29th which read 1 and on June 2 which said 2, and June 2 would have just been a week since I think I had the implantation bleeding, would it show over 6 by then or probably now? Will it show this week over 6 or still too soon, I don't understand the process on the testing very well. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!
    maybebaby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2010, 03:26 PM
    I'm hoping someone can help. My last period started Oct 2nd. I had unprotected sex on the 12th and 13th of October. I ovulated on the 14th. I had one day of bleeding (October 20th) which I thought at first was the start of my period [which would make it come very early - but isn't out of the norm completely cause I have a long history with Endometriosis, and sometimes it come in very short cycles]. But the bleeding stopped the same day and one day of very, very light spotting. I am now thinking that could have been implantation bleeding? Since then I have had nothing. I was expecting my period to start on the 23-25th of October but it is Nov 6th and still nothing. I have also had a few symptoms. Very very tired, very hungry (which is very unlike me), sensitive to smells, dizziness, feeling out of sorts, headaches and discharge (as if I am still ovulating). This is my first pregnancy scare ever. I have never ever been late, not even by a day in the 16 years I have had my period. I have had endo the same amount of time, but never missed a period from that. I have since taken three pregnancy tests at home, all say negative. I have a docs appointment next week to have a blood test, but am unsure what it will say. I have heard that endo may give women lower hcg levels than normal - so I may be pregnant by just lower than 25ml? Does anyone have an idea about this?? I have had no bleeding what so ever since the 20th so I don't think it is a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy - but what could it be if I keep getting negative tests?
    aiden09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2010, 08:19 PM
    Hi can someoen help me I have been on the depro neddle for the past two yrs I was due to have it last mth I have not gone back to have it as me and my husband want to expand our family I never got a period on the neddle what so ever and I think I may be pregnant I had the same happen with my other two boys I fell pregnant straight away I went to the docotrs yesterday for a bloody test but because it has only been 4 dasy of unproteced sex is there still a chance I can be pregnant my hcg level came back as 2 with in 4 dasy of unprocted sex so what do you think need to know beofre I even think about my next plane of action could I be preganst

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Senior Persons' Blood Glucose Levels [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to ask is there a difference in blood glucose levels for the elderly and adults? I have heard that the blood glucose levels should be 6-10 for elderly. Is this the case? And why is it so? I have a friend who is 74 years old and he has a constant blood glucose level that...

Blood sugar levels [ 1 Answers ]

Does blood glucose level measured from capillary blood ( say from a finger prick by a glucometer ) correspond accurately to venous blood glucose level? If not, how much is the difference ? Thanks.

Blood sugar levels [ 3 Answers ]

What are your blood sugar levels supposed to be during pregancy

Weird Blood Sugar Levels [ 13 Answers ]

I was diagnosed pre-diabetic last year. My 2 hour GTT was 187 mg. I was not told what to do, so when I had symptoms of hypoglycemia, I ate sugar. My symptoms are Shakiness, Lighted head, Sweaty, Irritable, Vision blurry and darker, Hearing decrease, Nervousness, Confusion. Eating lots of sugar...

Average glucose levels in blood [ 0 Answers ]

I am looking for a table containing average glucose blood levels of different populations (ages etc.), if possible not only the means but also the standard deviations.

View more questions Search