Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweiso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Metoprolol 25 compared metoprolol succ er 25
    I have two prescriptions: metoprolol tartarate 25 mg and metoprolol succ er 25 mg. Does anyone know what the effective difference is? :confused: Can one replace the other? Or be used instead of the other? Thanks! :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 24, 2008, 03:02 PM
    They are interchangeable. It's simply that the "ER" is an Extended Release version and seems to be better tolerated and is longer acting.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 24, 2008, 08:48 PM
    The extended release [ toprol xl? ] can be taken once a day and is probably more costly.

PLain old generic metoprolol [ less costly ] will act more quickly and not last 24 hours, therefore it is usually dosed twice a day. If you take this once a day it may not give you the blood pressure control [ important if you have angina or heart disease ] that you need.

Please let your doctor know of your dilemma here, and get exact instructions and dosage.
    SHOWEY1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 07:28 PM

inthebox is right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metoprolol Succinate vs Metoprolol Tartrate [ 1 Answers ]

Are these medications the same?

Metoprolol Succinate ER vs Metoprolol Tartrate [ 2 Answers ]

My family has a prescription for Toprol, both have the same milligrams. One prescription bottle has the generic Metoprolol Succinate ER and one has the generic Metoprolol Tartrate. Is there a difference and if so what is it?

Metoprolol Succinate ER and Metoprolol Tartrate [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between metoprolol succ ER metoprolol tartrate?

Metoprolol succ er 25 [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently (2 days ago) had a Catheterization, everything was normal, good strong heart and wide open arteries. The reason for this procedure was during my yearly stress test I could only walk 3 miutes on the treadmill before coming breathless. My doctor has prescribed the above since...

View more questions Search