Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mermaid1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 03:29 PM
    What length of time do I have to file a claim in for personal injury?
    I was bitten by a dog and want to have a settlement to have the scar removed.
    I live in Ontario, Canada.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid1234
    I was bitten by a dog and want to have a settlement to have the scar removed.
    I live in Ontario, Canada.

Don't recall the statute of limitations but dog bites are tricky - no guarantee you will receive a settlement. Have you consulted with an Attorney - that's obviously the first step and they can tell you what the statute is.

A lot depends on the propensities of the dog, the situation, homeowners insurance.
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 11:48 AM
    I looked it up and this seems like a very short statute of limitations - it's basically two years from the date of the incident/loss ("a proceeding shall not be commenced ... after the second anniversary date of the day on which the claim was discovered."

There is an exception if the person injured was a minor.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 09:36 AM
    I don't know if they'll actually grant a judgment for scar removal, because that's technically a cosmetic procedure. Yes, you did not have a scar prior to the dog bite but unless it's causing a serious negative impact, I can't see why they'd award money for that.

They'll give you a judgment for hospital bills, maybe even "pain and suffering" and what have you... but I don't know about the removal.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384
    I don't know if they'll actually grant a judgment for scar removal, because that's technically a cosmetic procedure. Yes, you did not have a scar prior to the dog bite but unless it's causing a serious negative impact, I can't see why they'd award money for that.

They'll give you a judgment for hospital bills, maybe even "pain and suffering" and what have you.....but I don't know about the removal.

No, you are incorrect - the scar, plastic surgery to remove it ARE part of the damages - the injured person is entitled by law to be made whole and scar removal is part of the package.

I don't know if the person who posted is talking about filing against insurance or a homeowner (and it could very well end up to be a settlement, not a judgment) but all medical bills should be paid - not just the hospital - and anything reasonable connected with the injury as well as pain and suffering.

I also do not know Canadian law concerning vicious propensities and prior bites.

I am just not certain that this isn't outside the statute which means too late to sue!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal injury claim [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently struck and run over by a car while walking with my children. They were not harmed physically, rather mentally and psychologically. They witnessed the whole accident! I suffered a left fibia & tibia break ( bottom leg), and 3 broken bones in my right foot. Approximately how much...

Personal injury claim [ 9 Answers ]

adriang63 Hello, Several months ago I was in an auto accident, the driver rear ended me while I was stopped at a red light. My injuries were a ruptured disk in my neck (cervical) and lower back strain (lumbar), the nuro-surgeon wanted me to have surgery on my neck to remove the disk, but I...

Legal name change and pending personal injury suit [ 2 Answers ]

I just received the paper work to do a legal name change for myself. I am an adult woman with no minor children. I am going to file it myself. It asks about your legal and creditor status. It says "is not involved in any legal actions". I am wondering what exactly does that mean? I am currently...

Time frame to file a claim [ 1 Answers ]

We sold a house last year on the condition that we change the knob and tube wiring in the house before the title search was done. Because of circumstances in finding a qualified electrition to do the work the house closed before the work was done. This made me very uneasy as now the buyers had...

Personal Injury Law Suit - Defendant Anxiety [ 2 Answers ]

Recently I have been involved in a multi car accident in Texas, and one of the Person is trying to Make money out of it by suing me. Though he was not injured on the scene, he Claims to incur heavly medical & financial losses as Pain/Suffering/Mental Anguish/Future Costs etc. etc I have a...

View more questions Search