Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reybie Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2010, 04:16 PM
    What is this called and what is the best way to cap and repair the damage?
    The kitchen sink and dishwasher are on the other side of this wall. The current area used to be a carport that was converted to an extra room. Whoever set this up before we got the place plugged the pipe with something I'm not sure of and covered it up with spackle and painted over it, 6 years later, whatever was used to plug it came loose and water from the sink and dishwasher soaked the wall and carpet. This was behind a couch so it was not easily detected.

Fast forward, ripped the carpet and dried up the area a bit and inspected the damage. I will cap the pipe properly but am not sure how to patch the hole. I don't mind if the cap is protruding since it will be covered.

Ideas and suggestions much appreciated. Pics to follow.
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 05:44 PM

Hi Reybie:

Looks like an old trap adapter fitting. The previous owners probably had a laundry sink or something similar back when.

As you figured, teflon tape or pipe dope the trap adapter and cap the fitting. You can always use it as a cleanout in case the kitchen sink backs up down the line... ;)

In terms of patching the wall, I'd recommend that you remove all remaining questionable areas of the old plaster around the fitting and then install a wall patch screen... see image. You will of course, need to cut a hole for the cap/fitting in the mesh patch. They are available at all home improvement stores. Use a basic fast-drying patching compound to fill the depth of the patch and then use a quick-dry joint compound to feather and blend the edges with the finished/textured wall.

You could also install a 3/8" or 1/2" sheetrock patch and then tape the seams and joint compound the patch to match the finished wall. If you do this cut out a slightly larger, square hole in the existing wall for an even stronger patch... also easier to cut a square piece in sheetrock. F.Y.I... Home depot and Lowe's sell 2'x2' patching sheets of sheetrock.

Let me know what you think...

Mark
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 06:53 PM

Hello Rebie,

Mark gave excellent advices I will add the link below just for info, Good luck.

John

How to Patch a Hole in Drywall | eHow.com
    reybie Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will go to the local hardware and get some materials and the cap to seal off that pipe for good. If the lays low enough to get covered completely, I think I will just hide it, I didn't even know it existed after 6 years LOL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Damage Repair [ 1 Answers ]

My tenant threw things at the walls in the apartment they are renting resulting in holes in the walls. I know they are responsible for fixing this but 1, how long do I have to give them to fix it 2, do I have to wait until they move out and use their security? Another question is if I could have...

Repair damage? [ 1 Answers ]

How much will it cost me to fix a roof on a home that has missing shingles and has leaked water into the house causing damage with about 8 foot holes in 2 rooms in the ceiling?

Is it really damage beyond repair? [ 3 Answers ]

OK, it's a long story and a bit hard to explain but I want to help my friend. To start of with my best friend got a new boyfriend but he got to 'clingie' and would never leave her so after a few weeks of trying to see it through she finally dumped him. The guy, Reece didn't take it to well...

How can I repair the damage and win them back? [ 12 Answers ]

My heart is broken in a thousand pieces. After years of frustration with my ex, I finally lost control and denigrated him in front of my children (14 and 16). He was abusive during our marriage and isolated me from my family and friends in the early years and I saw the same pattern developing with...

Hair damage in need of repair [ 1 Answers ]

I have been dyeing my hair since I was 16 years old, I'm now 20. I first started with blond highlights and a dark brown base, then I changed it to a dark red, then dark brown, and currently it is a reddish brownish color that I don't like, but I don't want to dye it again. My hair is so damaged...

View more questions Search