Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Jun 9, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Pain in right side of back,hip
    I have been experiencing a dull pain in my right side for the last two days, and it doesn't go away, even when I lay down... could this be a sign of appendicitis? I am getting an MRI done tomorrow for my lower and middle lumbar... will this detect that if that is what it is? Any answers?
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 9, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Could be a siatic nerve problem
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2006, 02:06 PM
    The best test for appendicitis is a blood test. This will test the white blood count which will be highly elevated if that is the fact.

You say in the subject "hip" which makes me think more of a pinched nerve, or as Demonspeeding said sciatica. Appendicitis pain is usually approximately even with the area of your naval and then shifted laterally to the right. Not necessarily low in the hip area.

If it were your appendix you would also most likely be experiencing nausea and fever.
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Jun 9, 2006, 02:10 PM
    Yea, that's kind of what I though... and I have been experiencing terrible lower back pain ever since I had a baby 15months ago... so that is why my Dr. ordered the MRI. Thanks for your answers!
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 9, 2006, 02:17 PM
    I wish you luck
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2006, 02:17 PM
    No problem Courtney. You had a baby 15 months ago? HHMMMM!! Was that a natural delivery, by that I mean not a C-secton? If so, I would have to go with during the birth of the baby there may have been some pinched nerves. However, I am not sure whether an MRI will detect that. I am sure your doc does though.

Did you have an epidural block? If you did that is something else I would like to take into consideration.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2006, 02:31 PM
    My wife's one achilles is her lower back. Other than that her body is strong. Her last pregnancy though tore her hip apart. The relaxin surely did it job, loosening up the ligaments for childbirth, but it took her quite some time to recover... again, not from the actual childbirth but from the ligaments of her hips being loosened naturally by her body in preparation for the event.

She tends to find now that exercise, especially running, tends to keep her body in a decent place. She also goes to occasional acupunture... but really the exercise is the one key thing that has helped.

If the mri and other tests fail to pinpoint a cause you might see if some long walks or running can help if something like this isn't in your daily routine.
    BlueFallWolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgirl
    I have been experiencing a dull pain in my right side for the last two days, and it doesn't go away, even when I lay down...could this be a sign of appendicitis? I am getting an MRI done tomorow for my lower and middle lumbar...will this detect that if that is what it is? Any answers?
    Hello,

I'm having the same symptoms you experienced. We just had our second little boy, he's almost 6 weeks old. I'd like to know the results of your MRI or any other helpful information.

Thank you,
    Tifani
    mitie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 06:44 PM
    It's probably just gas or backup of excrement in your bowel/intestines. Take lots of fiber and or psyllium husks and call me in a few days. Don't waste your time... well, I'm sure it's too late for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Serious Pain In My Right Side [ 7 Answers ]

I have not felt well since around Christmas. It started with pain at the top right handed part of my stomach. I assumed that maybe I had gallstones? I went to the doctor on Jan 2 and was sent for an ultrasound and some bloodwork. Everything came back fine. That night I went to the emergency...

Stabbing Right Side Back Pain [ 4 Answers ]

I have been to the ER twice last week with severe stabbing pain on my right side / back. I had an ultra sound of the kidneys / gall bladder / liver / spleen. also a CT scan of the chest & a thorasic spine X-ray. All came up negative except for the spine Xray: result was slight arthritus of the...

Back pain [ 6 Answers ]

Last few days I had slight back pain (left hand side) I felt while I'm at office some angle while I am trying to turn I felt it. Is it affect of kidney? PLease advise.:mad:

View more questions Search