Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alixie Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Eye surgery
    Hey guy I just want to hear some advice from you..
    My child has a lazy eye would a surgery help to restore its alignment? That it would look straighter? And she's already in her teenage years so, were kind of opting surgery would at least helped her.. and if surgery is done would it come out the same in later years or would it remain fixed?

Please give me some insights about this..
    Thank you..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 08:17 PM

I had it and it basically ruined my life so to speak.

It can at least temp correct, but many times they start going back, or even the other eye goes that way.

And there are dangers, of tear duct infections, problems of removing too much of the eye lid and so on.

After 4 times under the knife, after the first one went bad, I

I would not wish the horror I had with this on anyone.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 11:58 PM

The thing about surgical procedures done on strabimus (any condition in which the eyes aren't properly aligned, whether it be cross-eyes, lazy eyes, or any deviation) is that it is cosmetic surgery.

The eye is deviating simply because there is a slight dysfunction from the brain to the eye, and surgery, like Fr_chuck said, does not fully fix this problem. Often times, the problem will return soon and the surgeon will offer a repeat surgery, which is hardly anyone's wish.

If the lazy eye isn't TOO bad, and if your daughter has vision in both eyes, then I wouldn't risk surgery on it simply so that she'll have aligned eyes for a short time. Surgery, although due to medical innovations, are safer, there is always a risk.

There are eye muscle strengthening exercises that she can perform in the morning in order to lessen the deviation, or other treatment options that doesn't require her to go under the knife, such as vision therapy.

I'd see an optometrist for a consult.

If you are actually planning on going through with the surgery, ask the surgeon how many surgeries your daughter will require... because chances are, it won't be just one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tubular breasts, surgery or no surgery? [ 28 Answers ]

Growing up I always hoped my weird looking breasts just hadn't fully developed but I'm now 21 and they're still the same. I didn't realise there was a medical name for my problem but recently I've been looking into surgery and was told I had tubular breasts. It's not so much the breast that I'm...

Cosmetic Surgery thesis statement on Risks and benefits of Cosmetic Surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I need a thesis statement on Cosmetic Surgery, I will be during my essay on Risks and benefits. What are your thoughts?

Do I need surgery? [ 3 Answers ]

I see many questions regarding dark undereye circles. The answer. Use agood concealer. But can any one help with under eye bags. As most concealers only make the problem more noticeable. I've tried so many products,sleeping with a high pillow. But nothing seems to work. Is the only solution...

NO to Surgery! [ 2 Answers ]

I am a black female with horrible stretch marks on my hips. I am very young so I love the low rise jeans, but I can not wear them because of my problem areas. I went to a dermatologist and he suggested plastic surgery, I have seen creams that reduce the appearance of strech marks, but I would like...

View more questions Search