Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kutra Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 08:09 AM
    One Recessed light bulb continuing to die!
    I have 8 recessed lights in my family room with a dimmer switch. These light bulbs that are supposed to last seven years or something! Anyway, I installed them last August, and noticed that one bulb had died. So I replaced it immediately and the new one died after two days. I was sitting and I heard a small pop and that was this new light bulb. The other light bulbs in the 7 recessed light outlets are fine; it's just this one that is bowing up my bulbs!

Any idea what could be going on?

Thanks,
    K

Apr 27, 2012, 07:06 AM
    Anyone?

Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2012, 07:19 AM
    Sorry to miss your question, gets busy sometimes and a few get missed.

What type of lamps?

What type of dimmer?

Apr 27, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Lamps: GE's 65-Watt Equivalent Indoor Compact Fluorescent Dimmable Flood Light Bulbs

Dimmer: Lutron 3-way dimmer [This was also from Lowe's but I am not sure if the packaging said if it was specifically for CFLs]

I control my recessed lights from two locations. I have a switch in one location and a switch and a dimmer in the other location.

Thanks,
    K
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2012, 08:27 AM
    OK great info. Since your not having problems with seven units, there must be an issue with the one.

The dimmer should be OK, again, since it is operating seven units fine.

Simple fix, to eliminate a possible cause, would be to replace the socket, and check wiring connections.

Socket have two wire connections, usually riveted, that can come loose. There are other riveted connections to the screw shell and the center eyelet terminal, the one at the bottom center of the socket.

Loose connections can cause arcing, which can cause premature burnout of lamps, ballasts, etc.

Try replacing the socket, find one with wire leads already installed from manufacturer.

Apr 27, 2012, 08:34 AM
    tkrussell:

Thanks for your detailed post. Do you mean replace the entire Recessed Lighting Housing and Trim for that particular failing light bulb? If not, is there a instructions-link you can provide so I know what I am doing? :-)

Thanks,
    K
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 09:27 AM
    What is above these lights, especially the one giving you trouble?
    Attic?
    Another room?

Apr 27, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    What is above these lights, especially the one giving you trouble?
    Attic?
    Another room?
    Another room.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 09:46 AM
    Is it possible that the room above is subject to a lot of vinration like a kid jumping around in his room? You don't need to replace the entire fixture is its bad, just the socket but check connections first.

Apr 27, 2012, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Is it possible that the room above is subject to a lot of vinration like a kid jumping around in his room? You don't need to replace the entire fixture is its bad, just the socket but check connections first.
    Yes, that could very well be my 6-yr old! How do I check the connections or replace the socket, if needed?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2012, 04:33 AM
    How do you change the socket or check the connections?

I have to assume you know how to work on wiring and fixtures, and have the proper tools and safety equipment.

Here is a video that shows how to replace a socket, however I do not agree with one aspect.

The splices should not be done in the lamp housing, as he shows. He does show the new socket with wire leads, as I mentioned previously. But, the leads need to be long enough to run the junction box attached to the inner housing, beyond the lamp housing.

The connections I mention to be checked are in the junction box not see directly. The lamp housing needs to be removed to access this junction box. Depending on the size of the fixture opening, this is often difficult to work with.

Also, in addition to insuring the power is OFF to the fixture, since you will be on a ladder, and looking up, be sure to be wearing safety glasses, which I should mention that glasses be wore at all times while doing any work, no matter on a ladder or not.

Apr 30, 2012, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    How do you change the socket or check the connections?

I have to assume you know how to work on wiring and fixtures, and have the proper tools and safety equipment.

Here is a video that shows how to replace a socket, however I do not agree with one aspect.

The splices should not be done in the lamp housing, as he shows. He does show the new socket with wire leads, as I mentioned previously. But, the leads need to be long enough to run the the junction box attached to the inner housing, beyond the lamp housing.

The connections I mention to be checked are in the junction box not see directly. The lamp housing needs to be removed to access this junction box. Depending on the size of the fixture opening, this is often difficult to work with.

Also, in addition to insuring the power is OFF to the fixture, since you will be on a ladder, and looking up, be sure to be wearing safety glasses, which I should mention that glasses be wore at all times while doing any work, no matter on a ladder or not.
    Thank you very much. I shall check out the video.

Regards,
    K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correct voltage in light bulb socket, but bulb(s) won't light [ 1 Answers ]

Regarding a 4-light kit on a residential ceiling fan (Hampton Bay). 20 A circuit, nothing else on in circuit (house is vacant). No wall switch; all switching done at fan/light kit (separate pull chains). Fan turns fine. 122 VAC as measured w/ a Fluke meter within light bulb socket. Have...

Replacing Light Bulb in Hampton Bay Halogen Pendant Light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay track lighting system in my dining room and need to replace a couple of bulbs that have gone out. How does the fixture come apart to replace the bulb? The globe is shaped like an inverted champagne flute and it has a frosted cover inside covering the halogen bulb, but the flute...

Suggestions on what to replace recessed fluorescent bulb lighting with in kitchen [ 13 Answers ]

We have a 4'x6' diffuser panel grid with 3 four foot long fluorescent fixtures above and want to take it all out and update the look with either track lighting or can lights. The ceiling in the kitchen is a drop ceiling for the most part except the 4'x6' light panel portion which goes up 10 1/2"...

Hamton Bay outdoor light fixture... how to replace a dead light bulb. [ 0 Answers ]

I have to see if one of the glass panels slides up or down or left and right. It does not appear that the top or bottom is removable. Don't have instruction guide... don't know the model number

Light bulb size for a multi-speed four light five blade Casablanca Fan [ 2 Answers ]

I had a Casablanca ceiling fan (5 blades/4 lights) installed in the late 1970s or 1980s. It's still going great, but I am uncertain whether it can take more than 40 watt light bulbs. I would like to generate more light and am wondering if I can install 60 watt light bulbs in this fixture? Does...

View more questions Search