Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredfox Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2011, 11:34 AM
    Is someone really a doctor?
    Is someone really a doctor if they use M.D. after their name. Is there a way to check if they are really an M.D. I don't see any certificates or that they've completed medical school, etc.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2011, 12:43 PM

In the USA Doctors are licensed State by state. Inquire with the State medical board.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 18, 2011, 02:47 PM

You can also look them up with your local Licensure Verification for any medical professional.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2011, 03:07 PM

The following resource allows you to check your doctor by name for licensure in the many states:

AIM DocFinder
    fredfox Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2011, 04:56 PM
    Thank you all for the good information. We live in California and my wife has been having permanent makeup done by a woman who has an M.D. after her name. According to the Medical Board of California (mbc.ca.gov), she can use the M.D. without being licensed as long as she attended medical school. Permanent makeup (cosmetic tattooing) is no longer regulated and anyone performing this procedure doesn't need to be a doctor -- it was required at one time. Sure confusing, though, since there's no way of knowing if she has been to med school, but she can still call herself Dr. ___ ______. Well, so much for knowing if you are really going to a doc, unless you do the research.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When should I see a doctor? [ 3 Answers ]

Unexplained rapid weight gain, fatigue, anxiety, depression, hair loss and unhealthy, muscle weakness, no stamina, loss of interest in everything, flat affect, swollen left side of neck.

No doctor [ 4 Answers ]

What can we do to receive help for my father-in-law who hasn't seen a doctor in over 40 years, and refuses to see one now. He is almost totally incapacitated. We do our best to care for him, but he is in serious need of medical help with lung problems, refusal to eat, and numerous lesions.

What should I do next doctor will not help [ 10 Answers ]

I have had a headache for the past 4 weeks I went to see my doctor said it's a typical teen headache and after one more week I got really concered as it started to get worser and worse so I decided I would ask for a ct scan Im 15 years of age by the way and my mom thinks I'm being stupid I had to...

Will the doctor see me [ 1 Answers ]

Will the gynecologist examine me while I'm having my period?

Should I see a Doctor [ 2 Answers ]

HI All, I have had my period for 13 to 16 days now. For the past 5 years I have averaged a period every 6 weeks for no more then 5 days. I have had two surgeries for endometriosis. Is this normal and at what point should I see a doctor?

View more questions Search