Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Itchyfrog Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 04:38 PM
    Nocturnal itching with welts
    I have itching with associated welts & rash, usually starting 3.30am - 5,00am. I have none during the day - but like clockwork now, around this time it starts. I take a telfast and in apporx half an hour it subsides, with no residue in the morning. I have changed clothes detergent (although my day clothes do not effect me), changed my bed with no result. Went to doc who was no help. It commenced shortly after an ultercation at work. It is driving me slowly insane, not getting any sleep or help from Doc. I have not had any new medication, or food. I am a creature of habit. Has anyone had similar problem and been given help??
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 15, 2011, 06:50 PM
    Allergies can start at any age. I would guess, for starters, an allergy to your mattress. Some people are allergic to the fire retardant chemicals. Mattresses without them exist but cannot legally be sold without a doctor's order.
    This is just one guess, of course. But try sleeping on top of your blankets with another blanket over you for a night or two.

Jan 15, 2011, 11:25 PM

We have a water bed that I have slept in for years, but last night I slept in a brand new bed with jamas washed in baby detergent - just to tick off the bed as a cause. It didn't help, really bizarre. Only started a few weeks ago after a quite nasty altercation with a staff member at work. Some say that stress can cause it - just want confirmed so I try to do something about it.
    current pert

Jan 16, 2011, 04:49 AM
    Aside from the next idea of bedbugs, I'm willing to believe the stress part. A hypnotist can suggest heat and cause a burn on your skin. Why not your sleeping brain as hypnotist? The deepest REM sleep occurs when you are getting the welts, a few hours before dawn. Maybe you could set your alarm clock for 2:30 and stay awake for 5 minutes, disrupting the REM cycle.
    current pert

Jan 16, 2011, 04:52 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Or sooner, since they have already woken you by then.

Jan 18, 2011, 03:07 AM

Been to doc had a blood test, yet to get results. Took telfast before bedtime last night and got through the night until after work today, got the itchy lumps back together with numbness in the bottom then top lip. Wish I could get a diagnosis... does not make sense at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nocturnal skin itching [ 2 Answers ]

About an hour after my wife goes to bed, the back of her calves begin to itch and becomes a red rash with red bumps (at the hair follicles?) . It makes her loose sleep as she gets up usually twice to apply cortisone cream. She showers before bed and we've tried different body soaps. She's tried...

Causes of nocturnal itching [ 4 Answers ]

Possible infestation causing itching, especially at night, please explain.

Extreme Nocturnal Itching [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with itching that is worse at night that started about 2 months ago. I do take some medications but have tried to discontinue them for a week or 10 days at a time to see if there is any change. I have been on 10mg of Lipitor for years, switching to 20mg around the time the...

Prolonged itching and welts? [ 1 Answers ]

I've had itching/welts on my elbows, fingers, head buttocks and various other places for over 3 months dermotogist first said recation to med after laying the sun, then he said my reg meds I take, then he said probably something I'm eating. And now dr don't want to see me unless it get worse ...

View more questions Search