Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myleshigh Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2011, 10:12 PM
    What causes contraction-like intense pain in the head around the ear & neck?
    What do you know of that would cause extreme pain around the jaw bone, behind the ear, & at the base of the skull where it meets the spine? It is a debilitating pain that comes on strong out of nowhere, increases in level of pain to the point where it will drop you to your knees, then slowly resides leaving a dull ache/burning sensation for a couple minutes, then it's as if it never happened until the next brain-contraction begins. I've had it for about 3 days & thought on days 1 & 2 that it was tooth or jaw related since I have tmj & a top molar that lost its filling about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Hold on, here comes another . That reminds me, now that it's over, I can push on my head in back, right where my skull & neck are joined & it will sometimes stop the progression of the pain & the "contraction" will disappear. Last night, my head on the right side at the back in the middle was way hotter than the rest of my head, almost as if it had a fever. I made my son & husband feel it to make sure it was not just another sensational type symptom. It wakes me up every few hrs when trying to sleep, & happens, hold on, that time it took pressure right behind the ear where my skull starts to taper off. It happens when I'm awake very sporadically, ranging anywhere from 2 minutes to a couple hrs apart. Stress seems to cause it to occur or any serious thought , hold on, that takes the focus of my mind & increases activity in my brain. Sorry but trying to think of the easiest way to give the most details seems to be one of those stress/thought factors that brings on this pain. Certain pitch sounds seem to slightly aggravate it also. It seems to be escalating in severity as well as frequency. Any thoughts as to what may be the cause? Thanks for ANY HELP you can give. God Bless.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 15, 2011, 12:31 AM
    I suggest seeing a dentist and a doctor, either one first. Possibilities?
    Tooth infection/abscess.
    Mastoiditis, although that usually occurs in children.
    A mastoid infection can send abscesses down the neck. It is treatable but can be very serious if it spreads to the brain (meningitis).

I had a molar that didn't hurt but caused ear pain for years. I kept going to doctors, but a dentist diagnosed it in a minute, removed the tooth, and the pain was gone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it normal to have intense pain after having a cartilage ear piercing? [ 3 Answers ]

I Just Got My Ear Pierced 4 Days Ago. & There Is Swelling & Pain When Nothing is touching it, it is also red. I think A piece of my hair got stuck in the piercing, Any Thought on what I should Do??

Tooth extraction pain in ear jaw & neck [ 3 Answers ]

I had 3 teeth extracted 7 days ago. I am still in a lot of pain in my ear jaw and neck but my throat feels like its closing up is this normal?

Doctor says my ear pain and scratchy throat due to tight neck muscles? [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a viral infection 2 weeks ago. It was a sore throat, ear pain and severe headache that lasted 3 days. All on the left side of my face. I felt better for 5 days. Went back to work and started with itchy ear pain and scratchy throat. She said there is nothing wrong except that my neck...

My head and neck are in pain [ 1 Answers ]

My head hurts, I hit the back of my neck and now it has a knot on the back and the side of my neck. The back of my head is also swollen and there are bruises. There also is a tiny scar right beside the knot on the back of my head. My head also throbs and every time I run it hurts, please help...

Head, Neck and Back Pain? [ 3 Answers ]

I am having really severe pain in my head, neck, and back but I am not running a fever or anything. Should I be worried? I kind of feel like I have been ran over by a truck.:(

View more questions Search