Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maddierose Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 11:37 PM
    I hurt myself when I get headaches
    I'm 15 and I started getting migrane headaches a few years ago. But it wasn't until recently that I starting to hurt myself when I get them. I stratch myself bad, bite myself, pull on my hair, and bang on my head. I won't even notice I'm doing it until after, especially the stratching. I feel weird telling my mom about it so I just hide them and if someone does see I lie about how I got them. What should I do??
    I posted this on the mental section too. I'm not sure if this is a mental/emotional thing or what
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2010, 12:48 AM

This is really something you need to discuss with your doctor before you really hurt yourself. There's a lot of different treatment options your doctor can help you with to manage and prevent migraines. And your doctor can also help you determine whether this is because of the migraines or if there's more to it than that and then if there's more to it than that help you get the help you need.

Also, for future reference, do not post the same question more than once. If other members believe your question will get better responses in another area we can ask that it be moved. Starting multiple threads can just lead to confuse. I'll go ask that your other thread be combined with this one to hopefully avoid any confusion.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 04:33 AM

Never understand, hurting one self , you need professional help, talk to your parents.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2010, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddierose View Post
    im 15 and i started getting migrane headaches a few years ago. but it wasnt until recently that i starting to hurt myself when i get them. I stratch myself bad, bite myself, pull on my hair, and bang on my head. i wont even notice im doing it until after, especialy the stratching. I feel weird telling my mom about it so i just hide them and if someone does see i lie about how i got them. What should i do???
    i posted this on the mental section too. im not sure if this is a mental/emotional thing or what
    Deflecting the pain isn't uncommon, it is a functional way to deal with the extreme pain of migraine's.Same with other types of pains.

The lying about the scratches and attempting to hide the truths, that WILL lead to more problems.. one lie leads to another to cover the first one,and then another,etc.eventually you forget what was the truth in the first place, that's when people begin to doubt you... this can be a very hard thing to get past, lasting a lifetime... trust is earned,not a given.

The pain you feel is something a medical doctor should be first advised of,the shame is something they MIGHT be able to help you with,but in my opinion,the shame should be dealt with by a psychologist/psychiatrist.

Hope we hear back from you about this.

KBC

Oct 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
    Well a few days ago I was in the ER because the migrane got so bad and it wouldn't go away for more than 6 hours. They had to give me two shots of morphine and something else too before it went away enough to go home. During that migrane I stratched a lot of skin of two of my fingers and some off the back of my wriste. I'm worried its going to get infected or that its going to scar. I already have a lot of scars from this. I was going to tell my mom about it last night but she is always to busy.
    She knows about the migranes but I only tell her about them when they get to bad to hide. I was on a medicine called topamax for a while but I got off it before school started. I'm supposed to get back on it now but it doesn't really help. I have an appointment with nuerology but I have been there before and they don't help either. Sometimes I just feel like its pointless and its never going to stop. Sometimes I just think I would rather die then go through it again
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2010, 12:22 PM

There's a lot of other medications out there, just because one doesn't work doesn't mean all of them don't. Sometimes it takes some trial and error. Your mom needs to know how severe and how often they are. There's also other more natural things that might help. Sometimes certain foods can trigger it. Or even lack of food. If I don't eat enough, and I mean real nutritional food, not just junk food or snacks, I get awful migraines. Too much or too little caffeine is also no good for me. No caffeine at all and I get a migraine, more than two cups of coffee and I've also got a migraine. Lack of sleep is also a major trigger for me. A few nights of less than 8 hours and my head is killing me. Stress is also one of my triggers. Sometimes I just need to remember to sit back and relax, deep breathing and stretching can help there. And then sometimes, even though I'm eating right, sleeping enough, and not stressed I still get migraines. And that's when I go back to the doctor's and we get them back under control with medication to prevent them.

Have your mom help you find a doctor that specializes in migraines. It can make a world of difference. When I was in middle and high school my doctors were useless. They didn't want to give me anything to prevent the migraines and the stuff they would give me to take when I got them didn't do a thing but make me nauseous. The doctor I see now actually specializes in treating migraines. She has helped me so much.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
    Well a few days ago I was in the ER because the migrane got so bad and it wouldn't go away for more than 6 hours. They had to give me two shots of morphine and something else too before it went away enough to go home. During that migrane I stratched a lot of skin of two of my fingers and some off the back of my wriste.
    Who was with you while you were in the hospital? Mom? Dad? Someone had to be there, you're only 15. Didn't they notice you were hurting yourself?

I was going to tell my mom about it last night but she is always to busy.
    If she wasn't at the hospital with you I'm shocked that the hospital staff, or whoever was with you during this last episode, didn't inform her that you were hurting yourself during this migraine, during your stay at the hospital.

Who was with you at the hospital? That's the person you should be telling about this. It had to be an adult, and I'm assuming it's someone you trust, so talk to that adult, tell him/her that the scratching and hurting yourself has been going on for a long time, that the incident they saw in the hospital wasn't the first time, and you need help.

Oct 16, 2010, 01:13 PM
    My mom was the one in the hospital with me but she didn't notice. And I lied to the doctors about how I got them. I don't really have anyone that I trust. My best friend moved away a few months ago and I can't talk to anyone in my family without everyone else knowing in like an hour. My dad is a doctor but lives in California and I don't know him very well so I can't tell him either. Last time I went to the nuerologists all they did was take a bunch of tests.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 01:20 PM

Honey, you can't lie to the doctors. They are there to help you. If you don't tell the truth, you aren't going to get the help you need.

MANY things can cause migraines, it can take a lot of time and a bunch of tests before they determine what is causing yours. Mine are caused by food allergies, so I know that as long as I avoid those foods I won't get a migraine.
    Pets Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 01:37 PM
    my mom was the one in the hospital with me but she didnt notice. and i lied to the doctors about how i got them. i dont really have anyone that i trust. my best friend moved away a few months ago and i can't talk to anyone in my family without everyone else knowing in like an hour. my dad is a doctor but lives in california and i dont know him very well so i can't tell him either. last time i went to the nuerologists all they did was take a bunch of tests.
    Maddie, you have to stop lying about this. You won't get anywhere without telling the truth so you can get the help you need.

You can tell your mom. Don't you think she'd want to know that your migraines are causing you to hurt yourself, without you even being aware or able to stop? This is serious, and you need serious help. Much more than we can offer here.

Talk to your mom, show her your scars, tell her what you told us. She's your mom, I'm sure she'll do everything in her power to make sure you get help for this.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. You have a medical condition and you need to get help to stop this from happening.

Talk to mom okay? That's your only option. Than be patient, go to the appointments mom sets up, be honest about everything so that they can actually help you.

Oct 16, 2010, 01:54 PM
    I'm just tired of this and I wish it would all go away. I couldn't do PE last year because of it and my grades went way down. I'm in a different school this year and its partly online at home but I'm afraid its still going to be like last year. Ever since that day in the ER my head has still hurt on and off a little bit and now is hurting more but people keep being really loud and keep coming in my room and there's a stupid party about to start. Its really bad timing and I feel like I'm going to cry. I want to just curl up in a closet but people will wonder where I am and then they'll want to know why I was in the closet. I really hate this
    Pets Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 02:06 PM
    im just tired of this and i wish it would all go away. i couldnt do PE last year because of it and my grades went way down. im in a different school this year and its partly online at home but im afraid its still going to be like last year. ever since that day in the ER my head has still hurt on and off a little bit and now is hurting more but people keep being really loud and keep coming in my room and theres a stupid party about to start. its really bad timing and i feel like im gonna cry. i want to just curl up in a closet but people will wonder where i am and then theyll want to know why i was in the closet. i really hate this
    I'm sure you do hate it. My husband gets migraines, I know how bad they can be.

Maddie, the fact is, there's really nothing we can do. We can offer moral support, but that won't make the pain go away. We've told you what you need to do, now you need to decide. Do you want help? If you do, you need to tell your mom about this and get the medical help you need.

This can be figured out, this can be dealt with, but not by us. We only have words. You need doctors. Do you understand?

Talk to your mom. Don't be scared, just tell her and start the process of getting the help you need. That's what you need to do, and you need to do it today. Okay?

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you keep us posted on what's going on. Now go talk to your mom.

Good luck.

Oct 17, 2010, 12:39 PM
    I told my mom. She just told me I shouldn't do it and I'm going to have a bunch of scars. I already have scars and I know I shouldn't do it. She told my aunt like two seconds later and I told them I couldn't control it but they just looked at me like I was stupid. I think I'm just going to have to wear mittens everyday or something because I don't know what else to do.
    Pets Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 01:10 PM
    i told my mom. she just told me i shouldnt do it and im gonna have a bunch of scars. i already have scars and i kno i shouldnt do it. she told my aunt like two seconds later and i told them i couldnt controll it but they just looked at me like i was stupid. i think im just gonna have to wear mittens everyday or something becuase i dont kno wat else to do.
    Maybe you should show them your post here, that way they can see the responses from all of us, and the fact that we are concerned about this and realize that it's something you can't control and need help with.

You're not stupid, you have a medical condition that needs the proper treatment. You shouldn't have to live your life like this, and there is help available, once you see the right doctors and figure out what's causing these migraines and your reaction to them.

Don't give up. This is your health, and you deserve to get answers.

Jan 21, 2011, 09:17 PM
    OK so its been a while and I don't hardly ever hurt myself anymore. I got on this medication that I used to be on, its for migranes and seizures. Most the time my headaches arnt so bad anymore. But lately my vision has been going weird. It happens all the time. Everything will be normal and then all of a sudden its like my eyes can't focus and I can only see like the outline of things. A couple times I've seen dark or grey spots and sometimes its totally dark for like ten seconds. Its really scary sometimes and I'm always scared that one day it will just stay dark. Does anyone know why this is happening? What can I do to make it stop?
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2011, 09:22 PM

Did you ever see the neurologists you posted about a while back? What were the results?

It could be something neurological. Or maybe caused by the medication. Sounds like it's time for a trip back to the doctors.

I'm glad that you're not hurting yourself anymore and that you're at least having some amount of success managing your migraines. You mentioned thought that the medication you are on is for migraines and seizures. Do you also have seizures? Or is it just a medication for a few different things? The last medication I was on for my migraines was actually an antidepressant that was also effective in treating migraines.

Jan 21, 2011, 09:58 PM
    The doctor said the medication would help with my heart too. I have some kind of irregular heart beat. I haven't gone to the neurologist again, I think my mom just forgot to schedule it. I don't know if it was the medication that made my vision weird, but I was on the same stuff for almost a year when I was 13 and never had these problems.
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2011, 12:35 AM

Talk to your doctor about the vision problems. There's really no way for us to tell you what's going on or why it's happening.

Whenever there's something medical it's always best to see a professional, in this case a doctor. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hurt a friend with a guy she liked, and was hurt myself. [ 3 Answers ]

My friend thought a guy I had started talking to was really cute for a long time. But they didn't talk very much and only recently started talking when something stupid happened between me and that guy. He walked me back after a party and we were both really really drunk. Somehow we ended up...

Teeth hurt now throat starting to hurt [ 1 Answers ]

About a week ago, I started to get really bad tooth pains. I thought I chipped a tooth in my sleep. Later, my whole bottom jaw started hurting, then my top part of my mouth started hurting. At this point my whole my is hurting and about every tooth is real sensitive. I can't chew or drink cold...

View more questions Search