Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aalu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Metallic and non metallic ions
    Why metallic ions are larger in size as compared to non metallic ions?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 09:26 PM

As a matter of fact, not all metallic ions happen to be larger than non-metallic ions. Ionic size depends on the charge of the ion, the number of electrons in the orbitals.

Ionic size of any Group increase down the group, metallic or non metallic.
    Ionic size decreases along periods, until the ions formed are negative (most non metallic ions) where the ionic size suddenly increases. After that increase, the ionic size decrease again.

The more electron shells, the larger the ion. has 2 electron shells, but has 3 electron shells. Therefore, in salt, the sodium ion is smaller than the chloride ion.

Metals lose electrons when they become positive ions, hence, their ionic size is smaller than their atomic size. Non metals gain electrons when they become negative ions, hence, their ionic size is larger than their atomic size.

I hope it helped! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Metallic taste is mouth. Why? [ 2 Answers ]

Every Now And Then I Get A Metal Taste In My Mouth. I Don't Know What Causes It. It Just Happens Out Of No Where. Can Anyone Help?

Metallic taste [ 2 Answers ]

Just for your general opinion When u have metallic taste in your mouth meaning sign as early pregnant? Or it is sign as flu? If either one of those answer then how long should it would go away?

Metallic tase in mouth [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, me again, I was just wondering if a metallic taste, sometimes sour in the moth is a early pregnancy symptom?

Metallic bonding in Strontium [ 1 Answers ]

How do you show metallic bonding in Strontium metal? How do you show covalent bonding using the dot and cross and stick formation in Silicon Disulphide? What's is the formula for ionic bodning of Beryllium and Phosphorus? What's is the compound

View more questions Search