Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbress20 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2009, 10:56 AM
    Mass behind shoulder blade
    Ok... my girl has mass or something behind her right shoulder blade. It's maybe an inch by 4 or so inches. Size is really hard to determine, I can't really explain it. So on her left side you can feel the muscle a little, but this is different. I really questioned whether I was crazy or not, I tend to over react when something seems unusual in my dogs. Now it is larger and obviously different from the other side. I feel like when she is standing up, particularly when she is walking, it can be seen. She is with me constantly and I am usually upstairs so she goes up and down multiple times during the day and she is slower going up the stairs and hesitates jumping on the bed. Recently she has lost her footing and kind of slid down the stairs sprawled out, she has done this twice. I walk beside her now and remind her to go slow. She runs when she sees a rabbit or squirrel though! I know she needs to go to the vet and I plan on doing it ASAP. I just want to have some idea what is going on with her... she is a very scared dog and HATES the vet.

Oh! She is 4 years old, around 70-75 lbs, pit/shepard? Mix
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 11:00 AM

Honestly, there is no way we can say what it is.

It could be anything from an injury that has not healed properly to a tumor.

It definitely needs to be seen to by a vet very soon.
    She may require surgery to remove it if it is a tumor and a biopsy done.
    If it is muscle damage then your vet would have to instruct you as to the best coarse of action. (surgery, rest or medication)
    kbress20 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2009, 11:11 AM
    I know no one is going to be able to diagnois her, just looking for some ideas of what it could be. We are going to the vet very soon... I just pray it's nothing serious, not only because I would be devastated but also that she has been my healthy dog. My oldest had a hip replacement 2 years ago and the youngest is allergic to EVERYTHING, it's been nice to have at least one with no medical problems!

It scares me to death!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 12:16 PM

It's awful, dogs are just like kids. You never want anything bad to happen to them.

I hope it is nothing serious, I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Please come back and keep us updated :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Right shoulder blade pain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Its been 2 days now that I've been feeling a bit of pain on my right shoulder blade when I breath deelply (close to the spine), and it only hurts when breathing deeply. Might it just be a muscular thing? Thanks!

Lump behind shoulder blade [ 13 Answers ]

My dog is a german shepard mix, he's almost 10. He developed about a month ago a hard solid lump behind his shoulder blade. It doesn't hurt him or effect his mobility at all. It doesn't move or change in size. The fur around it appears fine. He's going to the vet in Sept for his checkup but just...

Pain in shoulder blade [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm female age 46. I have been suffering for a number of days with a stabbing pain in my left shoulder blade. It is constant and movement is not restricted. The pain neither worsens nor improves with articulation or lifting. Initially it felt as though it needed to be -clicked- back into place....

Sharp Pain Below Shoulder Blade [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I'm about 16 and I found this site while surfing Google. The problem I have is for the past year or so I have been feeling a sharp pain as if someone is stabbing a hot knife or needle located about 3 inches to the right of my shoulderblade, and I can't see mto remember any accidence I have had...

Shooting shoulder blade pain [ 2 Answers ]

I woke up with a really back stabbing pain under right shoulderblade thinking I had slept wrong breathing deep hurts and almost like a contraction were my eyes fill up with water I want to know should I put hot or cold to make it go away??

View more questions Search