Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toohz Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Oct 16, 2006, 06:45 PM
    ticks in between toes... any Idea's??
    I have 2 dogs. A 2yr old Staffy X and a 6 month labrador X. I constantly have to pull litrally hundreds of ticks out from in between their toes and the bottom of their feet. Every time I do this it eally upsets me as I feel like I am not helping them to stop it from happening. I have tried Garlic in with their food ( I already got told that one) and I also got Frontline as I was told that would work but it hasn't done a thing. Does anyone know of any other old wife's reciepes?? They are non poisionous ticks but it still upsets every time.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 06:51 PM
    I would talk to your vet about an effective remedy. I don't know is goo d for ticks. Revolution or just our poor flea habitat is keeping my dogs flea free. My vet said it isn't the best on ticks, but my dogs seldom had problems with them before I started the Revolution.

I have never had much luck with any of the old remedies, the match, kerosene,
    Vaseline, etc. on dogs or people.
    On dogs, simply pull it off with tweezers or your fingers. Pulling slowly
    Reduces the chances of the head being left behind.

A freshly attached tick on a person will quickly drop off if given a shot of
    Insect repellent, the DEET containing stuff. I have tried that on dogs and it
    Never worked.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2006, 07:24 PM
    Non poisonous ticks?
    Is it Frountline plus that you are using? Are you using the correct dose for their weight?
    I use that brand on my dogs, and ticks and fleas are like non existent...
    If it's only happening on their paws, could they be running through creeks or some type of water in the woods or something similar to that on a regular basis where overexposure to water could be stripping the oils and Frountline chemicals found in their skin from their paws?
    Do you wash their paws with soap or anything like that?
    Even though Frountline advertises that it's waterproof and that you can even bath your dog without washing it away, it fails to mention that you have to use a specially formulated dog shampoo that does not strip the natural oils found in the dogs skin in order to not wash the Frountline away. Also, it does not mention that overexposure to water will strip the chemicals from the oils in the skin or that if your dog decides to take a dip in the family pool its bye bye Frountline(this happened to one of my dogs after jumping in the chlorinated water from the pool).
    As for home remedies for for ticks, I've never heard of any (other than treating the grounds with an insecticide)
    toohz Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Oct 16, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Thank you guys for your helpfullness.
    I am using frontline plus. I don't have a creek or woods... just a backyard. They do however run in the hose and they have a little bath tub (just about a 30 cm deep) as it is hot weather. Maybe that's what it is. I will talk to my vet. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ticks [ 4 Answers ]

Im wondering what can be done about these pesky little ticks in my yard. Ive pulled them off my kids and myself and my dog. My kids are not too happy to go outside and play anymore and It's a shame for such a lovely yard to go to waste with no one playing in it.

View more questions Search