Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cogirl4now Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jun 12, 2009, 12:02 AM
    Why does my heart hurt?
    I am a 17 year old girl 130 pounds who has started to walk/run in the past month. I'll explain my problem as best I can. I feel this semi sharp pain that starts either at my heart or near it and then it goes down the left side of my body slowly like a crowd doing the wave and then starts all over again. This didn't start a month ago but its gotten worse and its starting to irritate me. I told my mom and she just said that its probably growing pains... I don't believe her even though she is a nurse. If anyone has any advice or answers please help me.
    albre2252 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 04:02 PM

Make sure your not overexerting yourself that could be the problem and drink plenty of water after your workout but if problem is still happening see a doctor because this could be warning signs for something bigger also take 10 to 15 min rests between workouts
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 05:04 PM

Are you warming up before your runs? Always make sure you warm up and get your heart working before you run. Do stretches, jumping jacks, JOG in place a bit.

At your age and weight your target heart rate while working out is 142-162 bpm (beats per minute) get a heart rate monitor (they can be found cheap on a step counter) or learn to calculate it yoruself to make sure you stay in this range.

If your heart rate goes beyond 200 while running, its time to start walking for a while.
    Death124512 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2011, 07:36 PM
    The same thing happens to me sometimes, but I usually relax over a set amount of time while trying not to think about it and sometimes massaging the area softly, but my heart usually has a longer lasting soft pain, but it might work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hurt a friend with a guy she liked, and was hurt myself. [ 3 Answers ]

My friend thought a guy I had started talking to was really cute for a long time. But they didn't talk very much and only recently started talking when something stupid happened between me and that guy. He walked me back after a party and we were both really really drunk. Somehow we ended up...

Why does my heart hurt sometimes. [ 9 Answers ]

Hiii, Umm... sometimes my heart hurts, And I have no clue why... Sometimes during the night it randomly hurts... that's when it occurs most but sometimes occurs during the day too... and like sometimes when I breathe in my heart hurts! It's insane seriously... and like... sometimes my chest hurts...

Wondering if I injured or hurt my heart in some way? [ 1 Answers ]

Last night I was sitting at the computer and felt a little discomfort in the center of my chest. Nothing really unusual just a different feeling. Nothing I could not tolerate or was greatly concerned about. However I began to gently push all over the center of my chest and towards the left side of...

Heart To Heart (BBC News) [ 4 Answers ]

Hello fellow AMHD Devotees, Just thought I'd share this news story with everyone as I thought it was pretty fantastic! BBC NEWS | Health | Woman face-to-face with own heart Goes to show how important organ donation can be! :) And this one, that literally made my skin crawl;

View more questions Search