Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Noodles15 Posts: 57, Reputation: 9

Dec 10, 2008, 02:40 PM
    How to convince a smoker to quit
    How do you approach a loved on who is a smoker. I'm concerned not only for there health but also for my own.

When asked why they smoke they just shrug, they're aware of the health issues, but feel if they quit because of my concerns they would be letting someone else tell them how to live their life.

Is there anyway anything else I can do or is it just up to them now?
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Dec 10, 2008, 02:48 PM

The way this world works is that no one will and can change for anyone but themselves.. it sounds awful and selfish but it's just how this world is..

You can only tell that person so much to make them change but if they really don't want to it's just not going to happen..

Now what really matters here is that YOU have a choice.. yes, and that is you don't have to be around them when they're smoking.. you shouldn't have to suffer for their addictions!

I suggest you gently say, "well if you're going to continue to blacken your lungs then i'm not going to be a part of it. and I'm just not going to be around when you smoke" and whether they change.. it doesn't matter, because you have removed yourself from that part of their life.. it's up to them to do the rest.
    maggie45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 06:40 PM

I was a smoker for about 8 years and it just pained my family to see me smoke! Finally, I just made the choice to quit but like the previous poster said, it is up to the person.

Now, I can't even be around smokers. Not within 10 feet. You have a right to clean air and that person must respect that.

Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2008, 07:02 PM

You can not make them quit, they can and will quit only when they are ready. Now you can restrict where they smoke, they can't smoke in the house, they can't smoke when you are with them in the car and so on.
    You can control the smoke you breathe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unexpected pregnancy and a smoker [ 2 Answers ]

I'm pregnant just found out. I am about 4 weeks along. I am a smoker so this whole time I have been smoking. I was wondering if that would harm the baby. Thanks

Smoker vs. Non-smoker can it work? [ 4 Answers ]

My b/f and I have been together for 1 year.. everything has been great. But we do have one issue I'm a smoker (cigarettes) and he is not.. about a year ago I had was living a huge party life. all I did was drink and smoke (MJ) everyday. My b/f was never a drinker/smoker.. my party days ended when I...

Should I take emergency leave of absence and then quit or just quit immediately? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to leave job for which I did not have time to notify my employer 2 weeks before I quit. My planes changed so fast. I have to quit immediately, but I I still have my shift schedule for tomorrow. I work at Starbucks as barista. Should I make call and tell them that my car broke and cannot come...

Does being a former smoker and a little overweight effect sex? [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: :o Well I am kind of overweight. I am 160 pounds and around 5'8. I might not really be overweight but I am out of shape. Well actually I don't know about being to out of shape. I am a former smoker, but when it come to having muscle.. well people tend to see my muscle no matter what...

Offset smoker [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought an offset smoker and have never used one before. Do I put the coal or wood in the small chamber and all the meat in the large chamber?

View more questions Search