Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlise Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2006, 08:39 PM
    4wk old kitten , with swollen eye
    I have clue what happened! First off they were seen by the vet at 3 weeks for constipation and got an OK for everything! So last week they weren't sick! I have 2 kitten , 1boy, 1girl! This afternoon, I did everythign as usual got up fed them , put them in the litter box and waited , they went, showed them to there box to go to sleep! Well I left for about 4 or 5 hours, but I did however leave fresh mushy kitten chow and formula, well I leave and come back and go to check on them, the girl runs to me and the boy stays in the box looking odd from a distance so I go and pick him up and both of his eyes are completley shut with dried up gunk! So I get the warm cloth hold it over his eyes and them gently wipe him, well one open and its looks fine with a small amount of gunk in the corner of the eye, then I see that the other eye is sooooo swollen . I mean it huge , swollen on the bottom part of his eye, so I was thinking no way could he have scratched that far down inside his eye, well needless to say my vet isn't open and I'm really scared for my little buddy! The 3rd eyelid is covering it up , but its not red, however its pupil and what not do not look right! The only thing I can think of is that he got formula in his eye and now its infected because I wasn't home to waipe it away, or something bit him. WHAT CAN I DO?? :( :( :(
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Apr 29, 2006, 11:14 PM
    Hello Rlise,

There could be several causes for your kitten developing an eye problem but from what you describe, he may have caught a viral/bacterial infection. This can be quite common in kittens.

From what you say it seems that it might be quite a serious problem and I would advise you contact your vet as soon as you can or if he/she is not available, another. Most vets have an out of hours emergency service.

If it is an infection he is likely to need medication such as antibiotics.

I would also advise you to separate him from the other kitten as these infections can be passed on.

Continue to try to keep the eye clear of the mucus by using warm water and cotton wool and very gently wiping it away.

I hope this has been of some help to you but I do reiterate that a vet should be consulted as soon as possible.

Wishing your kitten a very speedy recovery.

Cy
    (Poseidon)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2006, 03:43 AM
    HI,
    What can you do?
    Call your Vet. Does he/she have a number where they can be reached? And call you back? If not, find another Vet who does take non-office hour calls.
    It could be infection, could be maybe an allergy, could be many things.
    Call your Vet, see if they will call you back. Best of luck.
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

May 4, 2006, 03:32 AM
    Hello again Rlise,

I am just wondering how things are with your kitten.

Is he on the mend?

It would be great if you could post an update here.

Thanks

Cy
    (Poseidon)
    rlise Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2006, 09:40 AM
    sorry , but I did take him to the vet and said it was an ulcer, so I have been giving him these drops in his eyes about 6x a day, still. So which it doesn't look any better, but I take it like its any other ulcer . It will take a while. So ill update more when they get there shots.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swollen & bruised... : ( [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, my boyfriend and I were having sex.. well I guess I got rough or something, but he said his penis was starting to hurt.. well we took off the condom and it was a little swollen.. well after a while we just thought he needed some time.. well about an hour later it started looking bruised and...

Swollen daschund [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 1/2 month old daschund started showing symptoms of swelling on Thursday night. Her lips were the first to show signs, and soon after her eye lids. I took her to a 24 hour vet, who gave her a cortisone injection, and advised to take her home. The swelling subsided. Friday morning we awoke...

Nusing Mother Cat with Swollen Teats [ 2 Answers ]

I have a stray mother cat that I brought in with her 6 kittens. The kittens now 8 weeks old have been placed in a rescue for adoption and I had the mother spayed last week. Now her teats are swollen as if she needs to keep nursing. Each one is about the size of an egg. Does anyone know anything...

Swollen vain [ 2 Answers ]

My husband wanted me to find out if this is normal he has a vain on his testical that is swollen and its very dark. Is this normal?

View more questions Search