Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Mar 8, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Fluid retention in torso area
    I just wanted to see if anyone could provide any information on this strange problem my husband seems to be having. Yesterday, he had a bad headache and his blood pressure was elevated (avg160/105). I tried to help him relax, and he took medication for the BP. I was giving him a back massage to help him relax and noticed his back was swollen. I couldn't see any definition in his shoulder blades, his spine, etc, where you would normally see the outline of the bones. I had him turn over and his chest was swollen as well. His hands and feet are slightly swollen, but not near as much as his back and chest. It seems like there's fluid beneath his skin. Since we can control his blood pressure, he has meds for that, should we go to the ER anyway about the swelling and headaches? What could it be? He's never had anything like this before. He doesn't take any meds on a regular basis, and did nothing out of the ordinary yesterday or today, he's not overweight and has no big medical problems, just occasional high BP.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2008, 09:22 AM
    This should not be ignored it could be a sign of problems with his kidneys. I would go to the doctor, ER and let them know my symptoms. If they tell you that it could be a reaction to med, a bug bite etc. Insist on blood work,a urine check. I'm not a doctor or a nurse but have a son with kidney problems that involves swelling/water retention in various parts of the body.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 11:02 AM
    As has been said, this should not be ignored. It could be kidney problems OR heart problems.

You don't have "occasional" high blood pressure. If he has been diagnosed with HTN (hypertension) he should be taking his medicine every single day. Once in a while doesn't help as it takes a few days to a week or so to be completely therapeutic.

With that said, yes you need to get this checked out ASAP.

Mar 8, 2008, 01:04 PM
    OK, thank you guys. Now that you mention it, a few weeks ago, he was complaining of pain in the kidney area, and (this is embarrassing for him) has had problems with urinating. He had wet the bed one night, and frequently can't make it to the bathroom in time... or sometimes he'll think he's done peeing, but apparently isn't, and kind of wets himself. I know, it's gross, and he's very embarrassed, but it did concern me. I wonder if this is all related? He doesn't want to go to the ER right now, so I told him that he has to at least agree to call the Dr on Monday, or if he gets worse this weekend, he just has to go to the ER.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Mar 8, 2008, 01:09 PM
    I think that he should get in to see a doctor ASAP. Fluid retention can be a sign of a serious medical problem. Getting prompt medical attention is very important with this kind of stuff. If he refuses to go to the ER, see if he will go to a walk-in urgent care center if his doctor can't get him in for an appointment right away. Tell him not to be embarrassed about the urination, it's nothing to be embarrassed about, doctors have heard it all anyway. He should get this checked out right away.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 8, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Now that you shed more light, I think it is necessary he gets medical attention ASAP. It could be his kidneys, his prostate, even diabetes, or a more severe complication of a heart condition.

If he won't go to the ER now, he MUST see his doctor on Monday. And, please, for heaven's sakes, get his doctor to tell him he needs his blood pressure medicine DAILY. Not taking blood pressure medicine as prescribed can lead to kidney failure and/or congestive heart failure.

As a soon-to-be newly graduated nurse, and a high blood pressure patient myself, I can tell you it is necessary he take it daily.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Mar 8, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Agree with above.

His kidneys could be failing due to uncontrolled high blood pressure and an enlarged prostate blocking urine outflow, causing hydronephrosis.

Also kidney damage makes blood pressure control more difficult.

He should see a doctor / ER ASAP as any delay in treatment could result in more permanent kidney damage - if this is what is going on. Urine output of less than 400 ml [13 oz] in 24 hours is especially concerning.

I would avoid all anti - inflamatories [aspirin ibuprofen alleve motrin etc ] as these can cause fluid retention, cause kidney damage, and make high blood pressure worse, especially if he has heart failure and or diabetes. Also excess salt [ NaCl or KCl ] as these can aggravate fluid retention.

Good Luck

Mar 10, 2008, 02:24 PM
    He went to the Dr today. They took blood, and because of his symptoms, sent him to get an immediate MRI. The Dr suspects a possibility of something called 'Cauda Equina" syndrome. Hopefully he will get the MRI results either tonight or tomorrow early, but the blood work will not be finished for a couple days.

I will post back when this is resolved, just for your information in case this comes up as a question again.

Thanks for your help and for the urge to see the Dr. Keep up the good work, guys, you certainly have helped us and you are a great support system. Don't ever get discouraged, keep on giving those good answers and advice!!

Mar 10, 2008, 02:28 PM
    OH-and J_9, I tried to give you rep, but I can't! I didn't want you to think I didn't try or forgot about you, I guess I gave you rep recently and it won't let me do it again yet! Sorry! I do appreciate your answers very much nonetheless!!
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Mar 10, 2008, 03:19 PM
    I hope he is OK! Glad to hear you got him to the doctor's right away! Good for you. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Mar 13, 2008, 09:49 PM
    The MRI results read that he has a herniated disc that is causing nerve pressure resulting in all these symptoms. He has to see a neurologist to get a more detailed explanation, as he had a previous back injury and surgery so we don't know yet if this is a new injury or is related to the previous one. He will have to have treatment for this immediately, so as not to cause any permanent damage like total incotinence and to keep the blood pressure under control. Thank you for the help, it was greatly appreciated.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Thanks for the update. I hope everything improves for him.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 09:37 AM
    I looked up cauda equina
    Cauda equina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rash or itchy bumps all over my torso [ 5 Answers ]

I will try to explain as best I can and see if anyone on here know what this is. I can't get to the doctor until mid week, so I am just wondering. I have a rash and/or bumps that itch in various places on my torso. They have come and gone for the past 3 weeks or so and in different places on...

Cyborg with tank like lower torso [ 1 Answers ]

There is a movie were this guy is some type of cyborg , he has a tank like lower torson that he gets around on and he can change his hand with a rocket loncher , there's also some kind of time travel involved and a scene were they are getting chased by a boat . One of the lines that I remember...

Lazy bladder and t.h.c. Retention [ 4 Answers ]

Hello again, I must know what I am talking about when I lay this one on my PO. Could metabolites stay in my bladder(which does not empty completely) for more than the usual time? I have had this issue ever since I had the anneurism in 1983. Resulting nerve damage, I guess.

View more questions Search