Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zap100 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Fund, trust or something else?
    My husband passed away and I asked people to donate to my daughter's college fund in lieu of flowers.

Before I made the announcement to the newspaper, I asked the bank how I should have the people make out the check; either just my daughter's name, or it could be "Jane Doe's Scholarship Fund."

The bank clerk opened the bank account in my daughter's UTMA account and told me that it would be no problem to deposit the check even if it had the scholarship name on it.

I made the announcement in the newspaper and most of the checks came with "Jane Doe's Scholarship Fund."
    When I went to the bank to deposit the checks, I was unable to because the bank name was in my daughter's name while the checks also included "Scholarship Fund."

So what is the best way to go about this?
    What kind of account should I open?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 02:11 PM
    An account under the "Gift for Minors" act... the tax identification number on a "Gift for Minors" the account is your daughter's, the money belongs to your daughter for her benefit, and you are the Custodian. Deposits must be made to the account as the account reads... *Jane Doe, Custodian Little Jannie Doe, Minor*. You cannot use the contents of this account for anything but Jannie Doe's needs, and *not* just any needs. That is why you get a tax break.

You would have to have a lawyer draw up a trust account called "Jannie Doe's Scholarship Account"... that is similar to the way accounts must be opened legally for the benefit of contributing to people who have suffered a burned down house, for example, and a TV plea has brought in a lot of money to help them.

It is all about the correct tax identification number for the type of account. You will probably have to get a tax identification number for the Scholarship Fund(perhaps you can use your daughter's social security number, but the interest would be taxable)... I don't know for sure, I have been retired from the bank for ten years... You will have to see a lawyer to this legally and correctly.

Sorry for your terrible loss
    Best wishes for a happy future,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 03:15 PM
    I would open an UTMA acount with name that matched the Scholarship Fund at ANOTHER BANK. Make sure your daughter is the ultimate beneficiary.

Then transfer her UTMA account from the old bank (who, In my opinion, is being STUPID about this) to this new account.

Sorry for your loss!
    zap100 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Thank you for your answers.

I went to a different bank and they told me to get a TIN (Tax Identification Number)
    Number to open the account.
    <<<<<<what kind of account? Same type?? >>>>>>>>UTMA?

I asked the bank which type of TIN category I should apply for and they
    Could not answer.

When I apply for the TIN, which TIN category should I apply for?
    Sole proprietor, memorial or scholarship fund?

This money will only be used for my daughter.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Use scholarship fund!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal Income Taxes on Inheritance from Trust Fund [ 5 Answers ]

I am about to receive an inheritance (less than what is allowed before inheritance taxes apply). Do I still have to pay federal income tax on the money received? I live in Texas, where there is no state income tax.

Trust fund stolen by Grandma [ 12 Answers ]

My Grandpa and Grandma took $8000.00 and put the money into two CD accounts on Aug 13, 1900. So there is two accounts both starting with $4000.00. There is a written contract that I have saying the money is for the sole purpose of my sister and I. The money can only and must be in a CD account...

Revocable Trust (Grantor) Trust w/3rd party trustee [ 2 Answers ]

It was my understanding that if a grantor set up a revocable trust and a third party (let's say a bank) was named as trustee, the trustee was required to file a Form 1041. I am unable to locate any IRC or other guidance that would confirm or deny this. Please help. Thank you. Diana

Creating A trust Fund [ 1 Answers ]

How can one create a self-directed trust fund for a corporation?

View more questions Search